Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mouse Dakota recently had a litter. It seems like she's never with it and nearly every time I look into the cage, she's eating. I am really worried (I am a worry wart). Is her behavior normal? Will the litter turn out well? I am sorry if I am bugging people. This site is full of experienced mice breeders though.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really get into the nest without making Dakota upset. I gave her a nest box, but she made a nest outside of it, so I can't see if they have milk bellies. I have learned what I did wrong.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done that once, and that is why I'm worried. She was removed into a container (not to mention put around the corned so she couldn't see the nest at all) and I opened up the nest. Her nest is all weaved, so I nearly destroyed it in whole. When I checked them they had milk bellies though. I probably should stop worrying, but that's just me.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, this is the girl that I was freaking out about. I watched her for about twenty minutes and noticed that she goes, eats and drinks, and returns to the nest for five minutes and then repeats, so she is being a good mommy. I looked in the nest in 'exchange' of cooked rice (she was removed before I opened the nest). I had to dig a little bit to find the pups, but as soon as I put her back in she ran and checked on her babies, as well as restoring her nest, then restarted her cycle. She had I believe 9, though I couldn't really tell where one started and where it ended, but they were wiggling and squeaking, so their healthy. They did have milk bellies, so of course, she is actually a good mommy.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can officially tell you , Dakota's going to drive me crazy. She goes from being the most diligent mommy to the most unnattentive. She is sitting outside her nest, ignoring the queaks, moving the bedding around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.