Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the most distressing time, and as such have decided to stop breeding for the time being. I wanted to cut down as I had rather a few mice than what I could cope with, but I didnt expect to lose all but 5 of my mice in one go :cry:
I had 3 litters all died and mums too. I was and still am devistated by how many I lost but you see it was down to heat, it was just too much for them, we have a south facing garden, with windows open and fans on and windows covered it just got too hot, I was out and came home to find my beloved mice had died, I cried!
I was caught of guard as it was early May, didnt expect it to get hot, I usually move my mice when it gets hot to a cooler part of the house when I am not about, but I went out and it was cool and cloudy even rainy but on my return it was clear blue skies and very hot :cry:
So please take care and make sure your mice are in a cool room with no sun, try to get a small airconditioning unit not a fan as fans just move the heat around the room as I found out to my cost :( I just want to make people aware of how strong the sun came be at any time of the year not just in the summer, glass has a horrid way of heating a room up, if that makes any sence at all.
I have 4 old does left and 1 baby who survived. I have just one cage now instead of around 10.
I have only just been able to bring myself to tell you all as I am so upset by what has happened.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh gosh .... I wasn't even aware that the heat would kill mice. I thought they could withstand quite a high temperature.

So what is the max temp a mouse should be in ? Come to think of it what is the lowest temp they should be in also ?

I do have a temp gauge in the room but to be honest we live in the north and the problem here is getting the temp up .... not down !

I am so sorry .... hope you are feeling a little better soon.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Ow, sorry hun :(. I felt the heat and was worried, but our windows are tinted out. The combination of keeping my window open, blind down and fan going meant that it stayed okay... and now its too cold in here!

*hugs out*. That's terrible.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
im really sorry about this honey, i know its really hard - but keep ur chin up yeah. we all wanna see u back on here soon, ur a great breeder and have lots of friends on this forum :) x

·
Registered
304 Posts
:eek: Omg, I'm so sorry to hear about this!!! and your a fantastic breeder so it's such a shame this happened!
this has really shocked me, I would never have thought this could happen, all in one day!
I can really understand your decision and would probably have done the same, (even
though I'm dealing with other probs that have made me decide the same outcome).

I really hope time will heal your wounds. :nurse

xxxxxxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts