Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i want to make/ build myself some breeding boxes.

thing is i have loads of suitable wood sat in my garage i could use, so i am tempted to make wooden boxes, probably with perspex viewing window.

any reason i really should choose plastic tubs/RUBS?

can i coat the wood in anything?

thanks for your responses in advance and sorry if this question continually comes up.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Many traditional fanciers use wooden boxes. I have a feeling they coat them in some sort of wood varnish but I am not sure what. I personally prefer plastic as it is much easier to clean and disinfect and lighter to lift. I also find that mice raised in transparent containers are tamer as they are used to movements outside and don't just hide away all the time.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I'm not a "traditional fancier" (I live on the wrong continent), but I've also used home-made untreated boxes that I made from birch (or beech, I can't remember). Here is a picture:

I'm not very handy, so they came out pretty ugly but the reason I liked them was that you could raise the lid without moving the box, and it disturbed the babies much less than if you were moving the whole box to get a peek.

After a few months, the boxes got really dirty and hard to clean, so I gave up on them. Now I use cardboard (disposable) or plastic (easily washed) boxes, depending on what I have available. Sometimes though I still get a mother who prefers to have her babies right out in the open and ignores whatever kind of box I give her.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
decided to go with converted plastic boxes

building a shelving unit today. I will be able to fit about 10 boxes on.

will post pics of my unit on the show us your setup. probably next week at this rate!

also i am using Finacard for the cage floors, i've used it for ages with my rats and always liked it, i presume its ok for mice too.

I always remove it from the packaging and give it a good airing to get rid of any potential dust and i don't find that it smells too much even with my four big male rats (who stink anyway).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use Finacard just now and it does the job. Mind you, I don't have many mice so I'm not sure how well it'd work on a larger scale. Personally, I found that Aubiose (hemp) controls the smell a bit better but it is messier so it depends which you're more inclined to compromise on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.