Pet Mice Forum banner

new variety

12K views 86 replies 21 participants last post by  Stina 
#1 ·
hi, i just wondered what peoples thoughts were on developing a new variety of show mouse

#4 ·
it's very difficult to get a new variety accepted.There was a lot of opposition to the Hereford.You would have to produce at least 3 mice of the new variety to put before the executive committee.Don't expect them to be wowed.Not only will they have seen most things but they will be less than keen in view of the fact that many existing varieties are neglected.It would have to be something very distinct and even then you would have an uphill task.You can get the full details from your rules and standards book,item 18.If you are thinking of hairless types then save yourself the bother,they won't be accepted by the current committee.

#5 ·
no, what i am think of is not hairless. i have read the rules in the NMC standards book. i have sopken to a couple of people who have been members of the NMC for over 75 years between them. and they have both said that i have a really good thing going with the new variety i am hoping to produce. they have also advisted me on how to go about it all

#7 ·
If your want to get a variety standardised i'd of thought you'd want to tell as many people as possible what it is to see if it will be popular? why you being so secretive?

#8 ·
thank you very much, i understand that it is a hard thing to do, but as i said i have 2 long standing memebrs of the NMC there to help me out if needed. im not being secretive, im just still in the planning stage at the moment. but my idea is of a blazed mouse with 4 white paws and a white tail, with the main colour being any standadised colour

#12 ·
no one can help you get a variety accepted,only the executive committee and they are notoriously strict.Not much chance with a marked mouse similar to dutch and hereford,if any at all.Some people still grumble that the Hereford got through although I quite like them.They aren't widely liked on the show bench.Maybe in another century or so they will be fully accepted.Maybe not by Seawatch and he's on the exec.Ask him his opinion and I think all will be clear.

#13 ·
see, i knew i would be put down for this. i am goinf to try and get it standardised. first i need to breed this type. these blazed are nothing like a hereford or a dutch, no the way i want it to look anyway. seawatch, well if he is who i think he is then i will not be speaking to him, for personal reasons

#14 ·
I'm not trying to put you down, honestly. I'm only saying that a blazed mouse with white feet will not ever be standardised because a Hereford is a blazed mouse with white feet. They're too similar in description; your blazed sounds like a poor Hereford and that's what others will say when they see them.

There's certainly nothing to stop you breeding your blazed mice if that's what you want to do, but it helps to keep your goals realistic.

Sarah xxx

#16 ·
If i where you rosanna, i'd take the advice of both sarahs.. these mice dont stand much chance to get standardised. Your wasting time and effort trying to get something standardised when you haven't really been to many shows and shown mice that are already standardised. How do you expect to create a standard when you havn't had the experiance of showing to standard? I'm really not trying to upset you or ruin your dreams but if you do insist on doing this, my advice would be firstly to get mice of a standardised variety and get showing them and steward as much as possible so you can see the standards mice have to be before they go on the bench.

#17 ·
from what i have seen of the 2 herefords i own and some other herefords, the blazed i am hoping to breed will look nothing like it. as i said i have 2 long standing mambers of the NMC helping me (giving me advise and tips). i was warned that there are many in the fancy who feel that no new varieties show be brought in as there are quite a few already.

I CANT GET TO ANY SHOWS AT THE MOMENT. and i cant get the mice i want to show and nobody seems to have them at the moment. i was going to breed them in pet type to start with and work my way up, that was my plan.

#19 ·
if trying to achieve something with what you have brings you pleasure then carry on,they are your mice and it's your time and money.It is just a realistic view that they won't be a viable show variety.Abysinnian are not accepted at the present time and I think a standard would be potentially achievable for those.It's not putting you down.I have hairless mice,I like them and so I keep them but I am not under any illusion about get them on the show bench.

#20 ·
Most marked mousies don't meet any standard for show, no matter how remarkable or unusual, and if one thinks about it for a minute, it's easy to see why.

Show standards reduce the chaos and make it possible to discern the specific identity of that breed. I love wildly unusual marked mousies, but I don't for one minute think there should be a category for every kind. I was kicking for awhile about tricolor and splashed standards, but I've come to understand why there aren't any other categories than there are right now. That doesn't mean I'm going to knuckle under and start producing (or trying to!) only meeces that to fit that standard, it just means that I sympathize with the plight of the organization and the judges.

The other hurdle is getting other breeders interested in trying to keep and breed for the new standard of that variety, as a variety that is not widely bred will not raise the interest and create competition. Still, I do respect you for being willing to try something new. :)

BTW, there was a standard in some countries (may have been provisional, I don't know) for something close to what you're talking about, called Irish, which was to have a face blaze, a belly blaze, beyond that I don't remember. I think an Irish with a few more white areas, like the feet and tail, which are pretty common on meeces with blazes to start out with, would be very
attractive. I have a number of them in my tri litters, more or less marked that way. Aye, more or less, there's the sticking point. Socks are just too cute for words. and I'm a softie for face blazes.

Good luck! Be sure to keep us in the know about your progress.

#21 ·
thank you. i have on for the irish variety in rats at the moment. as i have said be for the blazed im trying to produce will have 4 white paws, a white tail and a dead straight blaze running from between the ears to the top lip. im thinking of trying in in only dark coloured like blues, blacks and chocolates, as the blaze, paws and tails stand out more on darker colours

#25 ·
i want to breed rumpwhites, herefords, texels, tans, fuzzy's and abby's but i would also like to develop this blazed type as well. i personally thing it looks nothing like herefords. out of all the mice i want to breed, i currently own. 1 rumpwhite doe, 2 hereford does, 3 tans (2 does, 1 buck), 3 texel does and 3 fuzzys (2 bucks, 1 doe)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.