Pet Mice Forum banner

New Show - WORLD WIDE. Marked Varieties Only.

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Roland 
#1 ·
1.Mice will be exhibited as a photograph, on a piece of plain white paper. And a date shall be clearly marked on the piece of paper.
2.Four Photgraphs will be taken of each mouse, One Under, one dorsal, and one left and one right side.
3. A Judge will be appointed from the United Kingdom,and the United States.
4. Appointed judges will be judges in their own organisations,and be conversant with foreign standards.
5. Should judges be unable to agree, a reserve judge shall be appointed. His/Her decision shall be final.
6. An exhibitor may only exhibit the same mouse a maximum of three times ever.
7.Classes will be u/8, adult.
8. Schedule. --------(under research).

Further details to Follow. COMMENTS PLEASE.

#4 ·
Taking a pic of the under may be difficult.

And personally I think this sucks, because I don't have a marked variety yet, as noone has brokens ready til next year and I think I should steal some of yours Gary! Not fair, I want to play!

#7 ·
Easier to judge through photo's I imagine, as markings are the most important part of a marked mouse, not really colour.

Selfs would be hard to judge through photo's as colour can be different on every screen and through every camera.

W xx

#8 ·
I think I can see why. It'd be impossible to tell how good a self is from a photograph and the lighing, flash etc would effect the colour. Satins would be even worse! Markings have to be a certain, exact way, which would come over in a photograph much more easily, and an excellently marked mouse with poorer type would probably win over selfs at an actual show anyway.

I think it's a great idea Gary. The Yorkshire Rat Club ran a photo competition a while ago when the rat fancy was suffering from a nasty virus circulating shows. Shows were cancelled for a while until it died down, so in the mean time the YRC got their members to send photos to be judged. It was very popular.

I just hope that one dishonest person with Photoshop doesn't ruin it for everyone else.

Sarah xxx

#9 ·
I would always be willing to be a 'spot checker' for fiddled with photo's... as a regular user of photoshop, I can usually spot something that has been maniped, and i'm good at trawling through Google to make sure an image hasn't been stolen!

W xx

#11 ·
Which standards will we use? There are different standards in different countries and clubs. I think an online competition of marked mice is an excellent idea! I've participated before in virtual shows and they do have their own challenges but they can be fun. :)

In the US, we do not have some of your standardized marked varieties, like rumpwhite. In the UK, you do not have some of our standardized marked varieties, like tricolor or broken brindle. I wonder how that would be resolved.

#13 ·
Isn't a white background a poor choice considering the mice will have white markings?

Also, how do you suggest getting a good photo of the underside?

The East Coast Mouse Association has had quite a few virtual shows in the past. We allowed all types of mice and changed our scoring to reflect the fact that you cannot judge color via the computer.The judging was based mostly on type.

#14 ·
differing standards across the world can be addressed by the judges making themselves famliliar with the relevant standard, in my eyes no different to judging a show with breeds entered that you do not keep. Please keep the comments coming,lots of brains on it will help to iron out problems before they arise. I think Also need to approach DOM for technical concerns. My early thoughts on photgraphing the underside will be to delegate that problem to jack. I would hold base of tail, allow mouse to grip tip of pencil, and click. can you have a play jack?

#16 ·
Photographing the underside can be accomplished by putting the mouse on a piece of glass. If you use aquariums for housing, you could put the mouse in an empty one and take the photo from underneath. Or, just about everyone has a photo hanging in their house that can be removed from the frame to "borrow" the glass.

#19 ·
WNTMousery said:
Isn't a white background a poor choice considering the mice will have white markings?

The East Coast Mouse Association has had quite a few virtual shows in the past. We allowed all types of mice and changed our scoring to reflect the fact that you cannot judge color via the computer.The judging was based mostly on type.
Did you miss my reply? :)

With my 2nd question, I wasn't very clear. I meant how do you suggest getting a good photo of the underside on a white background?

#21 ·
WNTMousery said:

Hi- No I didnt miss it, sorry I didnt reply in order, busy on the comp writing electrical installation certificates. The only other alternative is black, because there is no other background that is a standard colour all over the world. Hope this makes sense, and in any case you would be perhaps surprised how white marked mice actually are when compared to white paper.

#26 ·
Tricolor, for example, is not standardized outside the US
Actually Tricolour is standardised outside the US. Taken from the NMC standards: "A Tricolour mouse is to have three contrasting patches of colour on the back and sides. Patches of colour on the undersides and belly of the mouse to be adjudged an added attraction. Brindling of the patches to be judged a fault."

other varieties such as Rumpwhite are not standardized inside the US. How will that work?
If you don't have a variety, you can't enter it in the show. It's pretty simple. I don't have rumpwhites either, but I'm not grumbling that I don't have them so can't enter them.

WNT Mousery, I'm really getting the feeling from your posts that you are trying to be difficult, maybe even that this idea has offended you in some way. Do you have any suggestions to make that would actually be helpful? This is obviously just in the very first idea stage and I'm sure judges from across the world who want to be involved will sort the standards etc out. At this stage there's no need for this ridiculous nitpicking.

As Seawatch rightly said, this is supposed to be fun.

Sarah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.