Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Millies babies have now got their markings - they'll be broken black tans (both mam and dad are broken black tans)

Here's Poppy's babies - i moved all the pink eyed babies to the left (these are my first pink eyed babies)

Bruisers babies:

...and some close up pics of Bruisers babies - one has a lovely cross on his back :)

(runt)

(runt 2)

and the other cuties in the litter

What are the colours for the last two pics?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like my brokens, i think it's because you never quite know what markings they're going to get, they're all so different...i love it :) the buck i have is a broken black tan, and he tends to dominate the genes....except for the pink eyed babies, they take after their mam :) xxx

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep thinking of breeding other non-broken lines, but i just find the random markings so cute. Plus, since i'm breeding pet quality, not show quality mice, the brokens seem really popular. Though I do have 7 pink eyed whites in one of my current litters, so if theres a boy in there he may be a keeper :D as both my bucks are brokens. I only use the one buck at the moment, as the other isn't quite big enough to match my does and i really don't think my girls would put up with his immature behaviour for very long lol.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
miss.understood said:
:lol: never looked at them that way lol, good one Jack! :D
Every time I see mice with this kind of recessive white spotting, they remind me of maps of Norway, with its crazy coast and fjords. :p

moustress said:
Great markings; I think the babies in the last two pix are cinnamon.
They're red (Ay in the UK or e/e in the US) or brindle (Avy/* in the US).

Cinnamon is browner and ticked.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I would say agouti. Cinnamon mice can vary a lot: http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/varie ... namon.html

...but they generally have a deep slate(ish) undercoat when you blow their fur back. I suspect your little guys have no undercoat. You're in the US, right? Is the father red/yellow? If he's not, then the babies must be recessive yellow (AKA recessive red).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in the UK hunni. Their dad is broken black tan. Here he is

The mother mouse (the agouti) in the first pic, was bred from this male and my grey/white female.
I bred the agouti doe with her brother - of the same colourings, again, broken. and we got a whole mix in the litter: Broken blacks, grey/white brokens, red :lol:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Are you certain he's the father? Do mice have milkmen?

Seriously, though...I don't know how they could be red with those parents. Maybe moustress was right and they are cinnamon, although if they are they're the reddest/yellowest cinnamons I've ever seen. Maybe they look that way because their hair hadn't grown in much yet. When they have more hair, maybe you could post pictures again? Hmm...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, here we go....*for the record i'm going to try not to confuse myself here, let alone you guys* :lol:

Danger (broken black tan) was bred with Lily (Diluted silver agouti) = Bruiser (Broken Agouti Doe)

Also from the litter produced from Lily and Danger, there was a boy (Cookie) This is him:

So cookie + Bruiser =

which lead to the 'red' turning out like this:

Does that make sense? :? it was deffo Danger + Lily = Bruiser and Cookie

then....
Bruiser + Cookie = a whole mix of babies, including 2 reds

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So looking at the babies....the two grey and white babies.....look like their grandmother (Lily)
The two black and white look like their grandad (Danger)
and the other two reds 'could' look like a very rich line from their parents?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.