Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya! im new to mice and brought 2 females from the pet shop on friday... the two girls which i now have are 7 weeks old and were in a tank with atleast 7 male litter mates...

am i right in thinking that theres a possibility these girls may be pregant?...if so how likely is it??

also how can i try to tell a usual mouse shape from a pregnant mouse shape??... and will the girls need to be seperated to give birth if they are??

all advice greatly welcomed!

many thanks

x

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
You can put money on at least one of them being pregnant. Provided the meeces aren't really fat to start out with, it becomes pretty obvious, though sometimes it doesn't show much until about 2 or 3 days before the doe throws her litter. there will be, if you're lucky, a widening of the torso right in front of the hind legs, and if you gently lift the rear of the mousie by the tail and peek underneath, this will accentuated. Some does look like they have swallowed a ping pong ball, and still take a few days more. Sometimes it is hard to believe that much a little creature could have such a huge increase in girth. You should browse the sections 'New and Existing Mice, and 'Current Litters' or do a search for posts that talk about pregnant meeces.

iSometimes the doe carries an such a manner that the it looks like a little pot belly that is only noticeable from underneath. Let us know how things develop, and if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou :)... im trying to see if they look fat or anything but its kindda hard to tell if the roundness if there hind leg bones or something or if its the belly :S... hhmm...guess i will have to keep looking and googling

....can they stay together if they are both/one of them is pregnant??....UK and USA forums seem to be contradictory regarrding this :S

xxx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw you on another forum asking this and they told you to seperate them?

In my opinion, that doesn't always stand true, I have had does together while pregnant and gave birth in the same tank together and were totally fine. They were used to living together and got along very well.

Do your mice have a good relationship? Do they cuddle and groom each other? Or does it seem that one of the girls is much more dominant than the other?

It all depends on the personalitys and behaviours of the mouse, and only you can judge this. If you want to stay on the safe side, then seperate them, but they may end up having problems anyway with them being so young and this being thier first litters.

Willow xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks :)... yeah i did post on another forum too :)... there seems to be alot of contradictory stuff :)... i guess it will probably be safer keep them apart instead of taking the risk :)

xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.