Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice. There is one baby, that seemed to be growing as well as its siblings up until a day ago, when it started to get ruffled fur and stopped growing. Today i checked and he was only about 75% the size of his siblings. I have never "culled" a mouse for looks, or to increase the size, because they are just pets, and i don't plan on showing them. This mouse shakes. Like he cant crawl around the same way the others can, and his tail goes straight out when shaking. Shaking is never a good sign. seizer? He also has squared hips, and a skinnier tail, which i think is a sign of there being a birth defect like a "dwarf mouse" which i have seen before, and show similar signs. I don't know if he is in pain or just a little cold, but im wondering if i should just put him out of his misery. Should i put the little guy out of his misery? I feel horrible about it... and i keep thinking..."would i do this to a human?" Which the answer is no...though i undoubtedly would want to be put out of misery if i was suffering. I'm leaning towards putting him out of his misery, but still the animal lover inside of me is screaming help help and its really tearing me up inside. It was a large litter, but i honestly think the mother took very good care of the babies. This one i think wasn't "starved" from his siblings, i think he just has a birth defect. here is a link to the litter i have been taking care of: He is a little black and white broken. second from the right, and looks like he has africa on his back. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3496&start=10
I'd really like some advice that is something other than a simple kill it...and he is...13 or 14 days old now. They will be opening their eyes soon. If i do put him out of his misery....How do i do it? I know i can make a co2 tank, but only if they have their eyes open, and freezing is out of the question now. I don't think i could snap his neck or chuck him it just seems like such a crude way to treat the body of an animal you have cared for, although i can see why people do it to end it quickly... Sorry for being such a noob. I seriously joined the culling section because im interested in what people have to say. I never thought id be using it myself.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I've seen this same problem. These mice never do well in the long run. It seems more common in some strains of satins than in other mice, though it does happen in standard-fur mice like yours.

I always euthanize mice who exhibit these signs. I generally break their necks or use CO2.

If you want to do it at home, you can find directions here: http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK good to know... I think i may put another one of my mice under. He has been showing aggressiveness. I pick him up and he ties into my finger. I honestly never had a mouse bite me,until this guy came along. I dislike the idea of putting him under but i don't think my thumb can take it any longer...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.