Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cali -Silver Grey Dominant Spot

Jumper-Longhaired Dove

Cali is due in about a week. I'm expecting silver grays, silver blacks, and possibly blondes in my litter. Blonde is absolutely beautiful and I would be so happy if I get one in my litter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have the babies arrived yet? Did you get the colours you were expecting? We recently adopted an abandoned Chinese Hamster. The only time we hear him is 3am exercising on his wheel. We hear him because he shares our bedroom with us.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I always found the longhaired hamsters were far more handlable than the short haired ones we have had, is that common or just the way it worked out for us when we kept them as pets?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is due on Monday. She doesnt really look pregnant, but it may be too early to tell.
Ive noticed that the longhaired male is more friendly then the shorthaired female, but I dont know if thats how they all are or not.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
They look so fuzzy! Hehe...

I've never been able to keep hamsters (I taste too good to them) but admire those who can. :)

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
:lol: Jack! I like hamsters - but then I've never been bitten by any of the ones I have owned. The last one I had was a syrian and he seemed huge compared to mice, well, big feet anyway :roll: When I was younger I had Campbells (twice) but I have never had a Chinese who look nice. I hamster-sat a Roborovski last year and boy was it fast!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
It's true! :lol: When I was a teenager I had some of the so-called "black bear" Syrian hamsters that a friend of my dad's had shipped from France. In fur color they were similar to extreme black mice, without a fleck of white anywhere on their bodies. They were really beautiful animals but they bit me more than any other creature I've ever had. And they always seemed grumpy when I woke them up, whereas my mice never ever hiss at me like they did (I don't know if they are capable of hissing like that, lol). I'm aware that it could have been just this one line of hamsters that had problems, though. But coincidentally a few years ago I found another little orange hamster in a pet store who captured my heart, and when I came home with her she, too, decided that I was delicious and hissed at me (though not as much), so after she passed away at the grumpy old age of ten million years, I gave up on hamsters. I'm a big guy, but somewhere deep in my psyche I am still a little bit afraid of hamsters! :p

I still think hamsters are cute, but I'll stick with mice. haha

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
You have to be very respectful of hamsters, especially when they first wake up LOL

I have just gone through another test with my hammy (my boy looks ALOT like your boy windyhill!), I had to mite treat him today, i was terrified he would bite me or jump out of my hands, but he was good as gold :D

Willow xx

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was in our local pet shop years ago and there was a tank with "not for sale" on it so being nosy I had a peek to see what it was and this hamster lunged across the tank legs spread wide and hissing and squeeking and kind of splatted against the glass, I nearly fell on my bum from the hurried back step :lol: I got the reason for the sign pretty fast :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
My boy has never bitten me, but it was 4 weeks before i handled him properly... I would sit by his cage and talk to him, and stick my hand in his cage and play with his bedding so he could get used to my smell.
I definately did the right thing i think, my boy is a sweetheart.

I would never dream of handling a strange hamster though.

Willow xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one slightly apprehensive of hamsters.

I will handle a strange mouse no problem. In fact, sometimes (at shows, expos or stores) I've been known to ask if I can put my hand down into a tank of mice to see what all is in there. Even if a mouse bit me I don't think it would hurt as much as a hamster bite. :p

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive owned hamsters on and off for awhile, but this is really my first attempt at breeding them, so Im very excited to see how it goes.
Neither one has bit me,but I am very careful with them just to be on the safe side. Im going to handle the babies daily and see how they do.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I got bitten by a mouse when I was judging in Poland. It didn't hurt even though it was on a soft part of my hand. My lack of reaction ("Oh, this mouse just bit me") meant that the officials weren't sure that I meant it until it started bleeding :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts