Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wanted to share my plans. I'm going to have two lines, the first is Black Eyed Cream Satins, which I intend to show. The second is a line of Blue Agouti. There isn't a standard that I'm aware of, so unless someone knows of one and can tell me, I'm going to aim towards the rat Russian blue agouti standard, which is:

A blend of dark blue ticking over a fawn ground. Undercolour to be dark
blue down to the skin. Foot colour to match top. Belly colour silver. A
brown tinge to the ticking to be considered a fault. Eyes black.

The only difference I can see is that heathering is allowed in Russian blue rats but not in blue mice. I don't think I'll find any blue agoutis to start with, so I shall aim to get together a breeding trio of a good hunky blue buck and two agouti ladies and go from there. I'm not expecting to be able to show any other coloured mice from this line, because if they're anything like the relatives of Russian blue agouti rats, the agoutis in the line will be too dark and dull and the blues pale and mealy, but I hope that one day I'll be able to show the blue agoutis.

As always, I'm open to advice, so if anyone wants to share any info they think would help, please do!

Sarah x

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I will admit that personally I think you are 'wasting your time' from a show point of view but if you really want to have a go at breeding blue agoutis I don' think that will stop you ;) Why does the rat standard state 'silver belly' - surely top should be the same as the under? I agree that if I were to create them from scratch I'd also use a blue buck and two agouti does as my foundation trio. Well actually I'd get a trio of each and use one doe from each to the buck of the opposite variety, and one doe from each trio to the buck of the same variety so I had some back ups to work with in case anything went wrong. You should get blue agouti in the second generation.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All agouti-based rats have paler bellies - strange little things that they are :) The darker varieties like agouti, cinnamon, blue agouti etc have silvery bellies and the pale ones tend to have creamy white bellies.

That is a very good idea to go for two trios, it will make things safer, and give me much more choice. I have time to plan properly for all the extra mice anyway, I'm going to get the cream satin line fully established here and gain a lot more experience before taking on a second line, particularly an unstandardised one.

Sarah x

·
Registered
97 Posts
Now that's what I like to see a new breeder prepared to bang their head against a brick wall for their own success rather than breeding somebody elses winning mice and claiming victory for themselves.
Go for it and good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
In mice normal agouti is as follows: Eye Black. The Agouti shall be a rich brown or golden hue with even dark or black ticking all through. Undercolour black. The belly shall be a golden brown, ticked as on top and the feet shall match the body in colour and ticking.

In other words, the belly should be as close as possible to the top, so this is also what you'd have to aim for with blue agouti.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Dragonfly-Stud, that's very encouraging :)

Thanks for the info Cait, the new standard to work towards is now:

A blend of dark blue ticking over a fawn ground. Undercolour to be dark blue down to the skin. Foot and belly colour to match top. A brown tinge to the ticking to be considered a fault. Eyes black.

I know actually breeding them is still a long way off in the future, I'm just a real stickler for having things planned as much as possible :lol:

Sarah x

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good on you for having a go.

I''m the same I dont' want to start showing my mice until I've established that I have at least bred 3-4 generations from those I've bought/been given from other breeders.

I did have some blue agouti texel this year.

I'm also in the second generation of making my own line of russian blue agouti rats. I haven't managed a russian blue agouti as yet but I should be seeing them with my next two litters I should think.
I started with a RB buck and an agouti doe. I'll be putting my agouti( carrying RB) buck to a RB doe and the two agouti ( carrying RB) does to a RB buck and also to another agouti(carrying RB) buck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts