Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May has been a good month for my other mice :D

Have had quite a good sucess rate with these, few problems to begin with, a female hairless mouse died a couple weeks after birthing, not sure why, have a hunch they may have been inbred by previous owner, but thats why i'm working to outbreed them with new blood, luckily the other female cared for the young and now their young are producing young with no fatalities yet!

Also my spiny mice turned out to be 2 males and 1 female! :roll: the female had 2 babies (one drowned in water bowl(since been sorted)) baby was female, father was rehomed and daughter has been able to stay in as a breeding female with mum and other male, mum since produced another litter of two.

Striped mice have been perfect all along, not one problem, took a little time to mature compared to other mice but doing well now, have produced 3 litters in as many weeks and looking to have more soon :)

Heres some pics anyway of our bumpy ride, things are going smoothly now :D

Hairless mice

Some Egyptian spiny mice, just a day old in these pics!

and finally the latest arrivals, theres 3 weaner mice that will be ready soon, though all 3 look to be male will double check when i'm back, and theres 3 pinkies (or humbugs as i call them) who are very adorable! will sex them when i remove the older babs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow, such amazing mice! I never particularly like hairless mice but those first 5 pics of them are so adorable.
Those egyptian spinys are one day old in that pic? wow, they are fully furred with open eyes! are they born like that?
And those striped (humbugs :lol: ) are adorable. all in all, i'm extremely jealouse!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the spiny mice are born almost to face the world, they have big shiny eyes which they usually open 24-48hours after birth if not straight away, they can walk, they have hugggge ears and a rough covering of sandpapery fur :D and running around after a week, very strange, always amazes me though! :p

They're gestation is twice that of a normal mouse at 42 days, and average litter is 2, they do have more now and then, but it usually results in one weak one.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I like the look of zebra mice but they are very springy (or the ones I met were anyway). I was thinking about getting some but decided against it. I like the look of the spiny mice though, what are they like to keep and breed? Also how much would a pair be (roughly)?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My spiny mice are going for £4 each, though those 2 are both boys...

They can be fairly tame if handled from young, but can still be unpredictable, and when they bite they bite, like a hamster and it can hurt! :shock:

I've not been bitten by any of mine, but i do not get in any position to get bitten, ones i worked with a couple years ago i handled a bit until one female got pregnant, and i put my hand in to get food bowl once and she came flying from somewhere and gave me a good seeing too, lets just say i never went in the cage again bare handed! :|

So they don't make great pets to be honest, but they aren't springy like striped mice or harvest mice, i've not heard of anyone losing one at feeding or cleaning time like i have with striped (not personally)!

You can't keep more than one male together, and if they haven't enough room or seperate hides, it can cause tension, if one gets picked on, they all tend to gang up on it and the outlook is never good...

so like most exotic species, they more of a look-at pet than a cuddly one, but they're great to watch, they don't smell at all, being a desert species they don't produce much urine or poop very much like gerbils.

As for breeding they're pretty good, like i said above 42 gestation and average litter of two, but they make good parents and babies don't take long to wean, they're quite difficult to shift though which is why i only keep the 3 breeders and don't intend to carry them on once they've passed, which is a shame :(

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow, my mum likes them and she really isn't too keen on mice!

Don't stop the pics!!! :(

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I like the eyes on the spinies and I'm not fussed about having to be able to handle things. I thought it might put me off the harvest mice but I actually like that about them now and they don't bite when I do handle them, just wouldn't really sit on your hand for long. Maybe in the future when I win the lottery and get a mansion and a cleaner to look after everything... :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
982 Posts
the spinys are fabulous Cait you should get some - they're really tame and friendly. Debbie and I bought 4 yesterday and they're all over us, she has 2 girls and I have 2 boys and they're equally friendly and not "pingy" like the zebras or harvesters - they really are happy to just sit in your hands.

they've not yet been here 24 hours and they already know the sound of my voice and are happy to come and say hello when I open their cage - which is a miracle considering the fancy mice from ITV still won't talk to me and they've been here over a week now :lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
a female hairless mouse died a couple weeks after birthing, not sure why, have a hunch they may have been inbred by previous owner,

I read somewhere that certin varieties of mice have a tendency to die after giving birth and I think that hairless where one of them I'll try and find the link and post it. Inbreeding should not cause mothers to die.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, i've not had a breeding doe die before after birthing, maybe there were further complications, one of the young also died mysteriously one night not long after reaching maturity, shed never littered... :(

I've not had any fatalities since i've mixed the colonies up with new blood, so fingers crossed it was just a one off.

The female that died was tuttering for about a week before she passed but seemed totally healthy otherwise, wasn't expecting it at all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts