Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi me and my gf recently got some mice but one of mine is a bit wild! ive left them almost 2 days to settle down in there new home and when i went to take one of them out today it bit me :( but the other one is fine though.

Im not sure what i can do to tame it without getting bitten and stressing it out to much

any suggestions would be appreciated

here is my doe bumpkin (the tame one of the 2) she is a longhaired but im not sure what variety?

cheers,

darren

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Some mice just need some time and some extra handling to calm down a bit. Its best to pick up by the base of the tail and then put a hand under the mouse once you have it instead of trying to scoop the mouse up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers, il try not to get the ones jumping out the cage next time when i choose mice. also i picked her up by the base of the tail but when i put my hand underneath she bit my finger but il just take it slow and steady.

thanx for the advice

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
aw i can help on this 1, i had this problem when i first got 1 of my pet mice and i was told to break up a small amount of digestive biscuit or cheerio (other treats would prob work the same) in my hand and just put my hand in the cage and let them come to u.
it took a bit of time but it works,
when they get in to ur hand leave it a while and let them nibble at the food - then gently lift them up (but keep ur hand in the cage if poss) and after a few times doing this, gradually start to stroke them and lift them out.
i know this sounds silly but i talk to mine too - i think that helps :oops:
did this with mine only prob is hes a right mummys boy now lol x

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's not silly at all Leigh I'm fluent in guinea pig, rabbit, hamster and I'm learning mouse at the moment :D

Of course talking to them helps it's calming and re assuring - they are (after all) very small creatures ;)

Sound advice me thinks x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts