Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're due on Monday, so I figured now is a good time to get fat pre-pictures. I put them in with the bucks at the same time, and so I'm hoping they'll drop on the same day. I'm trying something a little different this time around; I'm going to cull Karrin's litter over about a week, and leave Mercy's litter alone. If I see that it makes that much of a difference, I'll start culling all of my litters, and get some healthier mice, hopefully!

This is Mercy, my broken blue doe. She built a nest, so she'll be ready when the time comes. She has a partial belt, a little headspot, and a rectangle spot on her belly.

This is TJ, you recognize him from my other posts. I think he's a beige/chocolate/mock chocolate/okay, I give up. I have no idea what he is. But his first litter is almost two weeks old (See "Little Spotted Babies"), and has some variety in it. I'm hoping for more broken babies, hopefully some with more color than his first litter. They're pretty, but I like my broken mice to be more color than white, and they're mostly all white with dark rumps and patches on their heads. So all told, this should be a very colorful litter!

This is Karrin. She is siamese, and to me she just looks hugely uncomfortable. She didn't build a nest for herself, so I put a little home in her cage for her.

This is Spike, my black fox and the daddy of Karrin's babies. I'm hoping for fox and siamese babies from them.

Here are Spike, Karrin, and Mercy.

Mercy and Karrin. You can see Karrin is a little bigger than Mercy, and she might drop sooner, even though they were put in with their bucks at the same time.

What colors do you think I'll get? How many do you think I'll have? Ready? GO!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Oh wow!! They are gorgeous!!! I reckon you could get anything from black splodgy to siamese foxes with Karrin :D Actually I have no idea about genetics :oops: But I know I got a whole mix from Mintola (black and white broken marked) and Sookie (Siamese fox) but that could be something to do with the fact that Mintola's parents were black dilute tan and broken marked dove and Sookie's parents being a naked male and a chocolate fox :lol: Whatever they are they will be pretty :D As for numbers -lots!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean by a real genetic oddball mix--I have a black merle fox I'm breeding to a black roan, and I have no clue what the babies will be. They'll be due next week, so look for pictures of them then!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Karrin gave birth early this morning sometime. She didn't have babies at midnight last night, but she did at 8 this morning. Mercy didn't have babies this morning but she did today at about 4-5PM. I haven't seen Mercy's babies yet, but I counted Karrin's, and she had 5 PE, 5 BE, and one chewed up PE. I removed the dead baby, but when I peeked in again this afternoon, she was eating another baby! It was already dead so I didn't stop her, but I hope she doesn't eat all of them! I was planning to cull some of this litter anyway, but I don't want to cull, and have her eat the rest of them! I don't have pictures yet, if Karrin is being really sensitive I don't want to bother her too much!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have to say this- you have had all your pregnant does out into a pen to photograph them, and been in the nests when litters were born- within the hour ! my advice is dont handle preganant mice and leave the litter alone for a couple of days when born.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are day one pics of each litter. I will get side by side comparisons eventually. At that point, I have culled two from Karrin's litter, leaving 9 (but you can only see eight... I have no idea where the other baby ended up). As of today, I have culled two more, leaving 7 babies. In a couple days I'll get current pics up.

Mercy's babies:

Karrin's babies:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can start to see some broken marks in Mercy's litter already, but what's really intersting is that even though Spike and Karrin are solid, there is at least one broken marked in thier litter. I know they're recessive, but neither Spike or Karrin have white spotting to show they might carry the broken gene.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I've seen a number of examples of pregnant does being handled in ways I thought were risky and very uncaring. I try not to handle does when they are close to delivery, as they are probably more likely to see that as a threat, and may cause a problem when the litter is thrown. I even saw a pic of someone holding a very pregnant doe in midair by her tail tip; I just couldn't believe someone could be so callous and stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have pictures today! I have culled Karrin's litter down to 7, and I'll cull a couple more before I'm done. Mercy still has 11 pups, and they are already showing some interesting patterns. So far, side by side, I can't see a diffence yet.

They are 4 days old now:
Karrin's on the left, Mercy's at right, but two of the dark ones from Karrin kept rolling into Mercy's lot.

Karrin left, Mercy right. Still don't see much of a difference. Maybe it will be easier to see over th next few days.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I try to avoide handling very pregnant does and I usually dont handle the litter until day 3, but some does I know really well and I can handle the babies on day 1. Handling too much can cause stress, which can lead to baby eating,etc.

cute babies :)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Karrin and Mercy's babies are one week old today. Yesterday I culled Karrin down to five babies, three girls and two boys. Mercy still has 11, 7 girls and 4 boys. Also this morning, my doe Blue (pictures to follow!) had babies by my buck Dresden. There were 11 of them, but one was dead and one was half the size of the other, so I removed them from the litter. That would be 9 little babies left. I'm letting them rest, but I should be able to get pictures of everyone tomorrow.

Here is Blue, she's a black roan:

And here is Dresden, a black merle fox:

Sorry for the picture quality, I know it's horrible! Seriously, what's the secret of taking good pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rid of the adults or the babies? Of the adults, I only have Dresden and Blue, and I'm keeping them. Of the babeis? Unless one is absolutely too striking to lose, all of them will be available. If you can figure a way to get to CA, you're welcome to as many as you like.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The fur is starting to come in on Mercy and Karrin's litters. It looks like I have a dove and a broken dove from Karrin, as well as two blacks and a broken black. It is too early to tell if any of them are fox/tan. I thought breeding a fox to a siamese would get foxes and siamese? No selfs? Now I wonder what the other PE that I culled would have looked like.

On Mercy's babies, so far there are about four different shades coming in, from 3 or 4 that are obviously black, to some dark grey shading that I think might be blue, to some lighter shading that is I don't know what, and one that looks RY. I already know that TJ carries RY, so it looks like Mercy does too. And she's blue, d/d, and if some of the babies are blue, then he'll be D/d. Not sure what the ones lighter than blue but darker than RY are. The little tiny hairs have a golden look to them, but that might be the light. It almost looks agouti, but neither of the parents are agouti, unless TJ has been holding out on me! And of course all the babies are spotted. Some have only a little white on their noses or heads, and some have pretty extensive spotting all over, but not as much as Molly's litter did (Little Spotted Babies).

Maybe it's because I'm not taking day by day shots, but it seems to me that these litters are growing up faster than Molly's litter did. I'll get some comparison photos tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.