Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right! Having some more not PEW fun. After 2 litters of having the odd silverish-grey and stoney coloured (not saying they WERE those varieties, just that was the colour of their coats) babies in the litters from the PEWs, I then had 3 litters totally, beautifully, completely proper white. We then had a Satin pop up in a whole litter of white from the same pair. So from that we can safely take that whatever they carry, Satin is for sure.

Now! One of the female siblings from the all PEW litters was kept back in the colony and had babies a few weeks back. She had 9, 5 were culled due to certain animals needing feeding that size and we now have 4 lovely little ones with their eyes open. But they aren't all PEW. windyhill yesterday said she thought maybe cream. I have no idea but I thought I'd post some pictures of past and present pew/notpews to see if the combined pics can highlight something.

It intrigues me and makes me curious from a breeding point of view, I now also have some boys about ready for sale (or to be culled, whichever comes first) and without knowing any more about them, I can't sell them to the people who are interested.

So, this is going to be a little long with pictures, but I hope some very clever soul will be able to click onto something or I get a few of the same guesses. That way I can stop puzzling over it and keep them labelled as that in the future. Right..

Daddy

Mummy on the right, not the best picture but it'll do.

First ever litter. Here some were creamy (particularly the boy on the left), some were silvery, some had little head markings.

As you can see from the litter with the Satin, they were lovely and white

Now meet the four cuties from the sibling we kept back from one of the pew litters, who bred back to Dad in the colony. I used natural light on a white surface to try and highlight the differences in them.

Here is the picture windyhill saw yesterday

And here they were as cute wigglers

Sorry, it's long I know, I just figure the more info, the better for the clever ones!

It's almost as if they have a slightly darker undercoat, blue-ish silver with white on top. One of those awkward coats that look all white in bright daylight and with an up close flash but in the right light the difference is very clear - in person anyway. The PEWs we have had never got this difference, they are brilliant white in whatever light you put them in and with or without flash, so I'm certain something is different, I just don't know what. The people who want boys are curious enough to want them but not without first asking second or third opinions. So meh, there we go.

xx

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Maybe they're diluted argente, if they have an undercoat like you said. :)
Someone else recently posted some diluted argentes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really?

Well that was the pews first litter and we've had two since then, so that is one mystery solved. Several people have spotted silvers in the litters, so thats another one.

How would I write that all down in an aa/bb/cc/dd kind of way? lol!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts