160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dogs
My boy and I

Harry sadly passed away

Rabbits
Benji & Evie

Ferrets
Mika - who I nearly lost last week and cost us a small fortune at the vets! :roll:

Zeek

Harvey

The tanks
My recent marine tank I just broke down

The new tank thats waiting for more rock before its set up again properly, half the corals and the fish are in another holding tank at the mo

My little desk top cardinal tetra tank

Chris' 6ft trigger fish tank, not long been moved and set up again.. could do with a clean :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Sarah we were always told that triggers and corals don't mix but I have seen a few pictures of people keeping both in the same tank - don't they destroy them?! Dave wouldn't mind a trigger again (amongst other things!) but has gone for coral this time around so assumed he couldn't have them...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In general the Xanthichthys and Melichthys triggers are considered 'reef safe'
We have the first true pair of crosshatch triggers in the country in the tank above and a sargassum trigger, neither of these nip corals or inverts.

We have previously kept niger triggers, blue throats, a pink tail and a black indian (as well as the more aggressive triggers) the first 2 of which were fine the other 2 im not so sure towars the end. Theyre a bit like flameangels, theyre generally considered safe but once they turn to your corals youve had it :roll:

Weve just broken down our aggressive trigger tank sadly, my OH Chris is trigger mad but running 2 large tanks at the moment was taking its toll on finances :cry:

For a first trigger at an affordable price Id recommend the blue throats as theyre considered the most dosile and safest, for something a little bit different the crosshatch or the sargassum, these are coming down in price fast but be careful with buying a sargassum especially because they are deep water triggers and many we have found have been caught using Cyanide and the fish will rarely live longer than a few weeks.

Our male crosshatch is a real character and he comes to the surface for Chris to tickle his back :roll:
Obviously tank size has to be taken into consideration though as some can grow up to 12" and need a big tank. Also water quality becomes more of an issue, they may not nip your corals but they are messy eaters and will put your nitrates up which unless you have a dedicated waterchange routine and an over powered skimmer many types of coral would suffer in the long run. This is why we keep this tank mainly to softies.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yeah we have mainly soft corals in a 5ft tank. It doesn't have many fish at the moment and a good skimmer so nitrate would probably be ok. The previous trigger we had was a Picasso though we have looked at clown triggers and niger triggers before in our LFS. I'll pass what you said onto my OH as it's his tank really - I am the lucky one who just gets to sit and stare at it lol!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a picasso, he was in the aggressive tank and now in the sump waiting for a new home to come along :cry:
Fantastic lil fish that one real porker when it comes to feeding time :D

Tell him to try a blue throat, theyre not as colourful as the clowns and other aggressive types but still have great characters. You'd prob have to hope it doesnt grow too quick though in a 5ft :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought Id update this.

Im really glad I broke down the old tank and upgraded to a bigger one now, this is how its looking.

There is also a new addition in the form of Taz

Hes old and overweight due to neglect and he is blind in one eye but hes just lovely so it looks like he is staying :roll:

And these 2 terrors have been staying with me for a bit recently and eating me out of house and home! Palmed off on me as unwanted kids pets at only 6months old :( They are off to be neutered and rehomed this weekend thankfully!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Those tanks are awesome. I have saltwater too, but only a 35 gallon tank. We're upgrading to 55 gallons soon though :)

And I love those triggers - I have a soft spot for triggers.

Lovely corals too :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive kept sun corals for 2 years now, I have 7 of various types at the moment and ive always fed them by hand with a 5ml syringe.
Most people think im nuts but I love it :oops:

When I first get one either from a shop or someone who hasnt looked after one properly I feed it every day then pretty much every 2-3 days once theyre 100%. A lot of people think theyre fine when the tenticles are coming out but Ive never seen a truly 100% healthy suncoral in a tank other than mine in the last 2 years it has to be said, they are hard work to thrive but they can 'survive' ok with weekly feeding.

Thanks sputnik, I just put a small niger trigger in my coral tank and I love her :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts