Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rather grumpy Jack Dempsey Cichlid

My two gerbils Suki PEW and Gizmo Agouti. Who sadly Suki killed last year.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You're very welcome. Gerbils have always reminded me of mice who've imbibed waaay too much caffeine. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When they were younger I would whole heartedly agree with you. Plus they will go through cardboard and plastic like furry chainsaws. They chewed the based off a plastic wheel in 5 minutes flat. One minute it was standing, next they were legging it across the cage as it came crashing down. Put a metal wheel in and they run inside so fast it would move from one end of their cage to the next. So had to be wired it down. Plus the dominance fights could be pretty fierce next minute they be grooming each other are a bit of sulking at opposite ends of the cage.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Haha! I had a disabled gerbil once. Her name was Chunkybutt (a friend named her), because she was fat, due to not having use of one leg.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I found pictures of her. These are nowhere near as good as yours, but you can see her disabled hand:

It caused her to limp all her life. When I got her she was already almost 4 years old, but she lived to be almost 5. I used to "feed" her old checkbooks. :p

That sounds so much more neglectful than it really was. She loved to chew them to shreds and was quite manic about it, even as an old lady.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She a lovely black. Missus would love her as in next batch of gerbils we get she wants a black gerbil as she loves the colouring. That won't be till Suki passes, we think she not far of 4 now herself. She certainly a tired gerbil and very much less active :( But she hanging in there like a trooper.

lol we havent used check books with the gerbils,but we have used bank statements before which they would chew up better than any paper shredders.

·
Registered
834 Posts
lol i'll swap you a tank set up for your puppy dog pmsl

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Jack Dempsey!! Love those fish soo much! My friend has one housed with a sting ray, an Oscar and a few other less exciting fish :D

Lovely Gerbils-makes me miss mine!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I love him to bits. He probably the most responsive fish I've ever kept. Will come to front of the tank when you enter the room and beg for food. His colours shift. The spangles shift from a metalic light green to a vivid blue and background can go from the dark black and yellow in the picture to a pale baige with black striping. Will feed out the hand as well which is really cool.

The thing about Dempsey their personalities are so wide ranging from docile and can live in a community tank to psychotic killers hell bent on killing anything that enters the tank. Mine somewhere in the middle, more kill you in your sleep type. Was hoping for the docile type but nope he killed virtually everything that goes in the tank apart from a firemouth cichlid and a convict cichlid. Unfortunately the convict died from being egg heavy :(

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Mousezombie said:
He probably the most responsive fish I've ever kept. Will come to front of the tank when you enter the room and beg for food.
My snakehead's like that. When you put your hand in the tank (underwater gardening!) and you don't pay attention to him, it'll bump up against you, and nibble you. If he doesn't get the attention he wants, before long he'll munch down on your arm! You have to chase him round the tank and gently rub under his chin, and then he's satisfied and he'll let you get on. I have a video somewhere of when I first got him and he was swimming around my fingers.. I'll find it :)

Do you have a video of him changing colour? I would love to see that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I havent got it on video, plue never seen him do it. Just seems to change colour when your not looking lol.

Dark

Light, sorry about the algae. my camera pics up every speck of algae on the glass even if I dont see them normally with my eye. This was about a day before clean out and water changes were due.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow friendly snakehead. I like some of the dwarf snakehead have very pretty colouring. Problem with fish you never have enough space to keep all the ones you want :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Beautiful gerbils!!! And I love your Dempsey!! Wish I had the space to keep a tank of cichlids but I was always wary over the territorial issues. I love mollies, knife fish, swordtails and siamese fighters. Loved training them to follow my hand to get a treat :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zany depends on what cichlids you get :) You can get Dwarf South American Cichlids or Rams which fit in a small/modest size tank quite fine. But be only able to keep a pair or so.

If you want africans to curtail aggression need about a 4 foot tank and you would overstock and then over filter the tank by about 6 times it volume to cope with the large amount of waste products produced. Also providing lots of hiding spaces in form of stacked bolders with plenty of caves. Thats why african community cichlid tanks allows look just a tad crowded in comparison with properly stock normal community tank. Decided to go new world instead of old world with my cichlids. :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
There are wild cichlids where I live. I don't think they're a native species, but they always have reminded me of the parrots of the fish world. :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts