Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my goodnesss, it's so adorable.

PICTURES! :D
He's two days old in these photos. And it's a good thing he's a boy, I don't need any more spiny mice, and if he was a she, I'd have ended up keeping him. :roll:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine are great pets! My male is best, he's very friendly. My female, came from a breeder who -sounded- like she knew what she was doing, but really had no idea. :roll: She's a bit nippy sometimes. But they're just like keeping mice really. You just CAN'T pick them up by the tails, everrrr.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If you do it by the base of the tail, it's not as bad, I don't think. I liken it to picking up a kitten by the scruff of its neck (the way the mother does). It looks painful but obviously isn't.

·
Registered
566 Posts
yeah i know what you mean Jack. Theres a local pet store ( :evil: ) which picks all their mice up by the middle to the end of the tails, and they're fully grown mice (by fully grown, i mean reached adulthood). It really annoys me. Only time i'll ever hold the tail lightly is when sexing young mice.

x

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I pick mine up by the tails alot, it doesn't hurt them and i have never damaged a mouses tail yet.

My rats I don't pick up by the tail because they can slough the skin, and the same with these spiny's... its a defensive mechanism to lose the tail.

W xx

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. You can see it really well on the babies. When they're born you can see on the base of their tail, where it looks like someone's gone and pinched it.

I pick my mice up by the tails as long as they wren't pulling on something in the opposite dirrection. I don't with rats, because I've seen their tails get skinned before. Blech.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.