Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have baby meeces !!!!

Arrived on Sat I think. (I was away friday + Sat night)

*QUITE* a bloomin few baby meeces too !!!

But to be fair I expected a big litter as she seemed huge.
A pic of the preggers Miss Moo below

Dad below 'Halo' me nekkid fuzz-monkey

The *top of the pile* of her mountain of pinks
(only one dark one in there far as can see)
There are plenty more underneath these ones :lol:

oodles of teeny little mini-meece :shock:

Not much of a clue what to expect colour-wise !!

One dark most pink, some black eyed and red eyed - looks to me anyhow.
Hoping for more hairless carrier *girls* in there for me.
Sure there's a couple in the mountain somewhere.

Should all of these 'carry' broken marked too ? *novice*

Moo seems to be coping OK so far, apart from being even more skatty-skitty than normal.
So I just had a quick look-see-poke-around and snapped a couple of pics.
All I could see had nice milk bands and look good to me.
But I do need a sit down and cup of tea after seeing that lot.

Yeek.

I did a quick head count, got past 15 then stopped counting... :eek:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
" eek " sums it up well I reckon !!! :shock:

Have read up lots and have come across various opinions but I'm not above asking for a few more -

'Best number' as in litter size for mum to manage ?
(theres a potential army of mini-meece in there ATM)

Also when best to...erm...no nice way of saying it 'reduce' the litter to a more manageable size

- as soon as poss or ??

I'm after more hairless carrier *girls* from this lot and they're still a bit weeny to try telling whats what. Guessing / hoping another 2-4 days will make it easier to spot nipple lines? else will have to get me mitts on a magnifying glass.... :?

Hmm *time to get another cup of tea methinks...*

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats on the babies! Wow. That's a lot of pinkies! From everything I've read and from personal experience trying it as well, 4 seems to be the optimum number of babies per littler for mom to raise and to stimulate and receive the most milk. I noticed a HUGE diference in baby size and development between reducing to 4 and larger litters.

Ideally, if you make the decision to lessen the litter, the sooner the better as far as the babies you are keeping getting a start at the best nutrition. If mom is on the skittish side, I probably would wait until she is more comfortable with you poking around the litter and then distract her with a favorite treat or the like. I would also only do a few at a time and see how she reacts rather than all at once. I usually start with the smallest/runtiest babies if there are any. Then usually the boys, as they are more demanding on the milk supply and I usually keep very few bucks.

Good luck! My goodness, that dark baby looks BIG!

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I usually start with the smallest/runtiest babies if there are any. Then usually the boys, as they are more demanding on the milk supply and I usually keep very few bucks.
I agree with this.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What am I expecting ? Hairless carriers ! :lol:

- will they also 'carry' broken marked from mum ?

Anyhow todays headcount - down to 10.
2 of the 'pinks' look weeny so may drop a bit more.
Most important Missus Moo is looking good and taking it all in her stride.

Colours ? am guessing the real dark pup is black ? - probably totally wong :p
But theres 2 greyish pups in there too - rest are pink with both dark and red eyes.

Pics !!

The lot....

The dark ones...

Dark ones with a pink for comparison...

So any guesses ???

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ohhhh, they're getting flakey! Will be starting to get fuzzy soon and you'll have a better idea of color. As of now, I'm guessing the darkest one is a black and the pink w/pink eyes are PEWs, but you could get surprises without knowing the whole lineage! ;) I've gotten all kinds of surprises out of mine! Chocolate Tans out of my (American) Brindles (no chocolates for 6 generations out of them! lol), a broken Blue from my Dove Foxes :shock: , and some 'strange' colors from my Doves and Cinnamons.....

Cute babies! Keep us posted! I'd like to see what colors they turn out, too! I'm curious about the 'lighter' dark ones. If they'll end up Chocolate, Dove, Blue......

ETA: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still new at trying to learn all of the genetic 'stuff', but isn't Broken a dominant gene?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Mari said:
ETA: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still new at trying to learn all of the genetic 'stuff', but isn't Broken a dominant gene?
Broken is recessive.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Moos squeeky pile is still 10 strong,
and all seems to be going well :D

The grey-ish ones have paler undersides - one has a grey/pink patchy belly
The other ones is mostly pink.
Lovely looking colour whatever it is !

Todays Pics...

Can't spot any nipple lines other than on the Black one.
Which *I think* has nipple lines but not exactly 100% convinced.

Hopefully all will become clearer.
That or I've got one huge heap of boys !! :lol:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Thank *ahem* for that - Today I finally discovered some nipple lines !! :lol:
I was starting to wonder !

4 females, the Black one and 3 'white?' ones.
Um...and also left in 3 boys - the lovely looking 'grey-ish' ones and one light one.

Been looking at mouse colours/pictures and 'Blue' seems too dark 'chinchilla' just not right -'Lilac' seems the closest have come across to these little guys 'grey-ish ' colour.

·
Registered
221 Posts
they look like the 3 from my litter, they were found to be stones but they look very similar to a blue burmese in colour one is darker then the other and more bluish and both have lovely dark masks theres pics around here on the forum somewhere :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree that they look like Lilac (which is Dove here in the US). They look just like my bubs of that color at that age! Very cute! They're coming along nicely! Keep us updated! Wondering if you've got some BEW or BEC or if they will develop a bit of color soon? The light ones always look white for a bit to me before showing color.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts