Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to check on my mice this morning, my female mouse pug is 5 months old with her first litter. Here is a picture of her tummy. Not sure how far along she is? But I am sure she will start showing more soon :). She is VERY healthy and eating really really well. So I am very pleased. I am hoping that Pug produces some beautiful Broken babies :) . Just another question, I have only ever bred black and white broken with black eyes. Never the colour of Pug with red eyes. Has anyone else? And what were the results?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
She has between 5 and 7 days, most likely. When they first start to show, they rarely go more than a week.

Is she argente (blue undercoat) or fawn (all the orange hair is the same color)? If she is fawn, you may get some red/yellow babies.

What color is the father of the litter?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack Garcia said:
She has between 5 and 7 days, most likely. When they first start to show, they rarely go more than a week.

Is she argente (blue undercoat) or fawn (all the orange hair is the same color)? If she is fawn, you may get some red/yellow babies.

What color is the father of the litter?
Yes Pug is a argente colour and the father Jerry he is all one colour, I'm not sure on his colour he is a lighter colour than her like a light brown? Or dark blonde. Here is a picture.

·
Registered
254 Posts
2 things:
Your buck is adorable! Although I'm not sure what color he is.
Secondly.... is that a goose in the last picture??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JustMouse said:
2 things:
Your buck is adorable! Although I'm not sure what color he is.
Secondly.... is that a goose in the last picture??
Thankyou so much! And I don't know either :/ And yes its a goose aunament (spelling bad there :S)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Since both the parents have red eyes, all your babies will be red eyed as well, I believe. Are either of Jerry's parents broken? Since he's solid you'll get at most 50% of the litter broken (statistically, it's entirely possible to have more or less) if one of his parents are broken. If both if his parents are solid, it's unlikely you'll get many broken bubs in this litter. As far as the colors, I don't know much about any of the yellowish colors so I can't help you there. :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
You could still end up with black eyed babies actually. Since we don't know the genetics of these mice you'll just have to wait!

·
Registered
165 Posts
How could that happen? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just fairly new to this myself and want to know where the flaw in my knowledge is. They would both be p/p, and a punnet square of that yields only p/p. Is there some interaction of unknown coat colors that could affect it? I've already admitted I don't know anything about most of these coat colors (although champagne I do know a bit about.) I thought if you bred recessive to recessive you would still come out with only recessive offspring, which in this case would be all pink eyes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, red eyes aren't always recessive. They can be co-dominant, or hide other eye colors... I think? Someone help me out here... it is possible for pink-eyed mice with body color to produce black or ruby-eyed mice, right? Like the member of this forum who had the mysterious black-eyed baby in their lilac lines?
Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I thought that eye-color genetics in mice were more complex than most, since pink eyes aren't just seen in albinos...?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think one of Jerry's parents was broken yes, and JustMouse, I agree with what you said, I thought the red eyed gene wasnt as dominant as the black eyed gene? Although the only way we can find out what happens is whent he little babies are born, By the way I am expecting the babies in about a week. So will post daily updates :)

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Pink eyes are either albino (or other c-locus genes like himalayan) or pink eyed dilute, which is the gene that cause dove, argente, fawn etc. Both of these are recessive.

If dad is an argente (does he have a blue undercoat when you blow on his fur?) you'll get all argentes and possibly some doves. If he's fawn (does he have orange coloured feet?), you'll get fawns, argentes and possibly doves. If he's a very dark champagne (is he beigy-blonde all the way down to his skin with white feet?) you'll get argentes, and possibly doves and champagnes. Since you're in England, it's going to be one of these three options since we don't have recessive red/yellow/fawn or Avy brindle here.

You'll only get brokens if the father carries broken, so if he does you can expect 50% brokens.

Hope this helps you!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
834 Posts
SarahY said:
Like the member of this forum who had the mysterious black-eyed baby in their lilac lines?
In England lilac is black eyed, made from chocolate and blue (a/a b/b d/d) and dove is pink eyed black (a/a p/p) ;)

Sarah xxx
hehe unless your me then you have a black eyed lilac and a pink eyed lilac lol did a test litter and got all lilac pups

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bah well my bad, I'm new to this too, I just thought red or pink eyes weren't always recessive! Can't wait to see your babies!

·
Registered
834 Posts
he should do mum and dad are from same litter, plus his got another litter with a black mum with pink eyed babys

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SarahY said:
Pink eyes are either albino (or other c-locus genes like himalayan) or pink eyed dilute, which is the gene that cause dove, argente, fawn etc. Both of these are recessive.

If dad is an argente (does he have a blue undercoat when you blow on his fur?) you'll get all argentes and possibly some doves. If he's fawn (does he have orange coloured feet?), you'll get fawns, argentes and possibly doves. If he's a very dark champagne (is he beigy-blonde all the way down to his skin with white feet?) you'll get argentes, and possibly doves and champagnes. Since you're in England, it's going to be one of these three options since we don't have recessive red/yellow/fawn or Avy brindle here.

You'll only get brokens if the father carries broken, so if he does you can expect 50% brokens.

Hope this helps you!

Sarah xxx

I think from what you have said, My buck is a Dark Champagne with white feet. So I am guessing I will have argentes, doves and champagnes? Thankyouu so much for the help! x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts