Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my pets have come from bad situations or have been adopted. I seem to just collect them as they come to me ;) Although I do have a limit, it's hard to say no to an animal in need. I'll post them in the order they came to me.

Gypsy, my 3.5 year old Border Collie and my best friend in the world. This dog is so smart I can literally talk to her like a human. Her vocabulary is well over 100 words & commands, and she picks up on tricks after as few as one repetition. I adopted her from a shelter as a 9 week old pup when her dam and littermates were surrendered.

This is my kitty, Beatrix. I found her in a ditch, emaciated, infested with mites, frostbitten, and with an abcess on her leg. So I did the only logical thing and brought her home :roll: She lived in my parents garage (heated in winter) for 2 years, and is now a healthy, happy housecat. She is a mystery, but her tattoo indicates she was spayed in '01, so who know how old she actually is, or where she came from.

Next is Stella, she's a 2008 registered Quarter Horse. I was "given" her in exchange for breaking in several other horses... I put that in quotes because I ended up working for 2 years, broke my collarbone, spent hundreds of dollars in gas money and went through some rough times to pay for her. She has bucket loads of personality and always wants to get her own way. We probably aren't the best suited to each other, since I'm really easygoing and she tries to fight me every step of the way, but after 2 years of working with her she is starting to blossom and give me 110% whenever I ask anything of her.

Korby is my husband's dog, she was found running loose at 8 weeks old and brought to the vet clinic where my sister works. She's kind of dumb, but a real sweetheart and a pretty good dog overall.

Rodney is my husband's juvenile corn snake. He's only a few months old and measures 19 inches. Other than my mice, he's the only pet we've actually bought, and he came from a good local breeder.

And finally, our newest addition, Trevor. He came to my sister's clinic from the pound because he was infected with Parvo. He had been passed around before coming to the pound, and the stress compromised his immune system and allowed him to get sick even though he was vaccinated. A month ago he was literally on death's doorstep, I went to see him at the clinic when my sister told me about him, and he was hardly moving and cold to the touch. I took him home while he recovered to reduce the stress he was under, and he never went back ;)

Well that's it for now, we won't have any new additions for a year or two until we buy an acreage in the country, our little bungalow with the postage stamp yard is full enough as it is!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think so too! :)

I guess it's not done everywhere, but cats and dogs around here are tattooed in their ears at the same time they are spayed or neutered. It serves as a permanent form of identification, so if an animal is found without a collar or microchip, the owner's phone number, name, and address are linked to that individual tattoo. You can actually see Korby's tats in the picture I posted of her.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Aww :)
I run a small/private rescue from my home, but half of the animals I get, I end up keeping :)
A few people around here tattoo dogs/cats, but mainly just rabbits

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I love that photo of Korby, it could be on a greetings card! As for the tattooing, it's done way before the neutering age on show dogs, certainly German Shepherds which are the breed I have a (very limited) knowledge of for show since my OHs family keep them for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
My dogs have a tattoo on their bellies to show they've been spayed, and my two cats were tattooed on their butts when they were nuetered. They were all done at the same shelter. I guess they got tired of guessing if an animal was altered or not.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Oh, oh whoa - that's all I can say! Each one of your animals are stunning! The color of Beatrix's eyes, especially.

My favorite breed of dog is the border collie, mostly for their intelligence and beauty (though I prefer the longhaired ones). Yours is what I would consider unusual phenotypically, but gorgeous nonetheless!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Autumn2005 said:
My dogs have a tattoo on their bellies to show they've been spayed, and my two cats were tattooed on their butts when they were nuetered. They were all done at the same shelter. I guess they got tired of guessing if an animal was altered or not.
It's easier to tell if males have been neutered, but sometimes it's impossible to find a spay scar. It would be really unfortunate to open up a female and find she'd already been fixed, so that's the main reason they do it. Makes a lot of sense to me :)

lizashley said:
Oh, oh whoa - that's all I can say! Each one of your animals are stunning! The color of Beatrix's eyes, especially.

My favorite breed of dog is the border collie, mostly for their intelligence and beauty (though I prefer the longhaired ones). Yours is what I would consider unusual phenotypically, but gorgeous nonetheless!
Gypsy and Trevor are both extremely normal looking Border Collies, although Trevor is a mix. ;) The AKC "show" ones are more of a cookie cutter dog that you're probably thinking of, whereas working stock dogs are bred for their skills and intelligence over appearance, so there is more variety among the dogs. Just to show you what I'm talking about, here's a shot of 5 purebred Borders from a working BC forum I frequent:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts