Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd share pictures of my beloved cockroaches. I currently keep four different species, and they are all awesome. Roaches are incredibly gentle and passive beasties, and I'd recommend them as pets to anyone.

First, my Blaptica Dubia. I got my first pair from Laoshu and they were my very first roaches, so this is all her fault :lol: I currently have 3 adult males and 7 adult females, and an unknown number of tiny nymphs. I give the nymphs to the mice to hunt, they love them. And this is probably very sad indeed, but I know all the adults by sight and they all have names :oops:

Priscilla and Albert, my first pair

Lazy roaches

Next, my Madagascan hissing cockroaches (Gromphadorhina portentosa). I bought these from eBay. I have 11 nymphs at the moment, should be adult size (approx three inches long) in another three months or so.

Sorry about the rubbish picture, they are pretty fast!

Thirdly, I have Giant Cave Cockroaches (Blaberus giganteus). I currently have 5 adults and 5 well grown nymphs. These are massive, the adults are all over 3 inches long. They are very beautiful and lovely to handle.

Blaberus giganteus nymphs.

Blaberus giganteus adults.

Lastly I have two Peppered roach (Archimandrita tesselata) nymphs. These are only tiny nymphs at the moment so I don't have a picture, but these are also giant species, growing up to four inches long when adult.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
*cries*

If you were at college doing a small animal care course and your evil teacher would put giant hissing cockroaches in your hair and laugh THEN YOU WOULDN'T LIKE THESE CREATURES! *ahem* Sorry...

*cries some more*

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
SarahY made me hold one of these "gentle and passive" creatures.

The damn thing FLEW at me!!
There was much squealing and I naturally went into a foetal ball whilst a very amused Sarah very calmy said "Oh, that's never happened before".

Gentle and passive indeed!! :lol: :lol:

I guess they have pretty markings though.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
ahh thanks sarahY, i used to have a few adults given to me, but i got my husbandry wrong and they died. I've had to start again, but i am not paying the silly prices even the roach shop charge.

I have 50 babies i am growing on for the next 6 mths!

they are doing well.

do you provide extra heat for yours? mine currently get the same as my corn snakes; 90f hot spot. i read they like hot temps.

I put a moistened tissue in from time to time to aid shedding and they eat complete cat food.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i used to have 2 madagascar hissing cockroaches until they multiplied into like a hundred! that was a shocker. they are actually really cute when they are "newborns" :lol: . i remember i had to put vasoline along the edges of the tank so they didnt escape!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
My mate works at eurorep, and said that i can have some of their death heads that they use as feeders. I love roaches, but i'm going to keep and breed them to feed to my CWD and Bosc :)
(madagascan hissing is my favorite :D )

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.