Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
although I have handled him from an early age. He is fine out of the cage but seems to be telling me to get out of his territory by giving me a nip whenever I do things in the cage. I comes up specially, nips and runs off. I can see where he is coming from but would rather he didn't do it, especially as I am not sure if one day he may bite for real. For the time being he seems to just be warning me off. He is still young and lives with 2 girls, one has recently had her first litter. Is this common in bucks and is there anything I can do to make him trust me more?

Thanks for any experiences/ideas!

Isabella

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've had exactly the same experience with one of my bucks, he hasn't done it in a long time and is about a year old now, when he was about 6 months old he used to do it more when i put my hand in the tank, he lives with 5 females and it appears to be a warning sign when the females have young, i think he was telling me they are his girls and i will not take any of them away :lol:

I haven't had any of my other males do it though and they live in female groups too so i think its an individual thing.

Agression from what i have found will be slightly different, i have a female whose very protective over young, she will sit with her head out the doorway of the hide, she will not come up to be to nip/bite but if i put my hand near the hide she won't hesitate to give me a nip all the while not exiting the hide.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I have three does that do that, all in different cages, all the biggest ones. They're fine when they're out, but if I put my hand in their cage near their nest, they shoot out and nip me, as if warning me off. It could be underhandling on my part, though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's good to know I am not the only one with this problem! I have two female babies and a male baby now so it will be interesting to see if the son is going to behave like the father later on!

Isabella

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.