Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start a thread for myself to post not-quite-random pictures of some of my mousies.

This first picture is Snowflake, a cute marked champagne I found at a pet store. Just to show you that I do know what a right shade shade of champagne looks like. Not that it will stop the arguments; there are a wide variety of shades that are seen as 'the' right shade for champagne. This one has the very light pink undertones, that were they bluish, would make her a silver mousie. My favorite shade of champagne is one that has a golden-pink cast so that it seems on the verge of being beige, or yellow, or very faint lavender-pink .

Here's Viola, another champagne doe found at the sane pet store months earlier. I didn't get a pic of her belly, but she has a nice bright orange underside. She is a bit dark, and could be taken for lilac (dove), but, nope, she's champagne. I have seen pictures of very light champagnes with bright bellies, but I think a good tan belly looks better on a darker shade of champagne.

Da Boss is a marked red satin buck who was among the founders of my yellow.red tri lines. (he's really let himself go; he'd never be able to congugate these days :roll: )

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right! I wouldn't breed lethal yellow if you paid me, so my reds and fawns ae mostly A^vy. I have about 8 recessive yellow mousies too, right now. I'm working to try to get a darker orange. One way or the other, I'm gonna see red.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few mus mus for your enjoyment:

Here some pictures of my F3 generation of brindle/tri crosses, from which I got alot of interesting marked mice.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Alot of my pet type mice have that actually, my satins more specifically, especially the young ones. When they are babies they look long haired, but once they get fully grown its obvious they aren't.

Willow xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Oh? That's interesting. Is it considered a fault in the UK? It is in the US. The fur is supposed to lie evenly on the skin without some of them sticking out a little bit...

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I do believe hair being to long or too thin is a fault over here. Meeces tummies are particularly prone to hair faults.

Happily none of my exhibition types have hair faults, as far as my unjudge eyes can see! hehe

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You show people!! I never even noticed the guard hairs you speak of, and I tend to think it's a molting problem, not a fault of any kind. I guess time will tell...AND, let me remind you once again, I'm not showing, so this sort of thing is kind of irrelevant to me. My original satin line had medium long hair that I believe is called caracul, which has a curved hair rather than an actual curl, giving the fur a sort of feathery layered look that I really like. These mousies don't have that quality, but they do have other interesting qualities like the merle-like patches that outline the faint areas where stripes probably would have been without out the transgenic contribution. That's why I posted it. To call it weird and then point out perceived faults obviates the purpose of post. :roll:

I posted these mainly to show the odd variegation that occurred in the mixing of brindles with the transgenic factor. I'd appreciate it very much if you'd address my interests as well as address the pedantic concerns you have about proper show standards re faults, etc. I'm experimenting and you should appreciate the effort I put into it. This is where new types of mousies come from.

I'm glad if your mousies please you; I derive great satisfaction from my meeces as well.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Didn't mean to upset you sorry =o/ You know I love your pretty meece.

But you know I didn't even see the fainter patches untill you pointed them out! Bare in mind I have never seen a merle or amercian brindle mouse in real life, I just though they paler bits were more white spotting!
Looks very cool though.

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry too; I guess I felt pushed, and sometimes have to push back a little. I know I am a singular kind of mousekeeper; I like to go for the unusual at the same time as being very, very passionate about mousie behavior and health. I lavish great amounts of time and care on my meeces, way beyond what some breeders would consider normal.

In some ways, I think the real serious breeders miss out on seeing babies grow up. I've had some pretty remarkable litters off of litters who were not all that pretty by your standards. Size and type do not always follow what is visible. But, we each do what we do, and no doubt have good reasons for doing so, and thus deserve some measure of regard.

(When the little kiddies used to get up my nose about culling certain of my meeces, I'd tell them, "Hey, they are my meeces, and I'll off them and spit them like wienies on a stick and roast 'em for lunch if I feel like it! They're probably pretty darn tasty!" That wouldn't be much of a reach for me, actually, as my nuclear family did eat squirrel and rabbit on occasion. And other odds and ends from the animal kingdom...)

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here your mousies du jour. These two boys are from one of my argente/tri litters. The muddy too dark champagne is of no great note, but I absolutely love the way the long coat on the argente boy shows the base color. Sweetheart is also a very affectionate, playful cuddlebuddy who is normally pretty calm when I handle him he just kind of relaxes andlets his feet dangle from my hand.

"Ooh, nice warm hand; wait a minute, are those GIRLS in that tank down there?!"

"Nice clean bedding."

"Hey, bro, there's girls on the shelf next to ours."

" OK, that's enough of the flash, moustress."

"This photoshoot is OVER!"

1 - 20 of 271 Posts