Pet Mice Forum banner
401 - 404 of 404 Posts

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Missing meeces. May get a couple of girls later this year. Mike Chiodo's pix of mousies with flowers are really attractive. He's having a gallery showing for a whole month of those pix; he does a lot of interesting photos, but these are really something! He's on Facebook.

· Registered
4 Posts
my own ramblings a bit
I've noticed it is easy to personify these little creatures in the cage next to my bed.
In one cage (3 females and 1 male) they all act about the same: they don't particularly like to be touched, they all have given me little warning nips from time to time, but if I bring food into the room, they act like a food compass by climbing on the cage walls always closest to the food. they are happy to be handled if they get food with it.
the other cage (at the moment just 3 females, I put the male in solitary confinement so he doesn't immediately mate with the females who are giving birth) we have one who just delivered a litter...and boy has she gotten snippish. anything happens in the cage and she attacks (sometimes with a pinky still hanging off her underside). She has calmed down a bit more recently, and it seems the other two females have figured out the situation too, but delivering food to the cage was entertaining. One of the other females has adopted the role of nurse, and seems to look out for the mother doe quite well. I tried a little experiment. I have found that these mice do not share very well. when I put a piece of chocolate mint between the two non-mother (yet) does, they fought over it. yet when they had their fill, I put another piece of chocolate next to a pup that had made it out of the nest, and the nurse delivered both items back to the mother. Then the third female in the cage... Y'know how we all have that one friend who won't stop exercising? well she has spent every waking moment (my sleeping times) on that wheel since I got her 2.5 months ago. every night I give the cage a light rattle, which is enough to make her take a water break for about 5 minutes, so I can sleep. The water makes an almost equally unpleasant rattle...
ah, life with pets

401 - 404 of 404 Posts