Pet Mice Forum banner
381 - 400 of 404 Posts

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Sitting here, after having driven about 1350 mi., waiting to hear from people who were expecting me, I feel dazed and a bit deflated.
For 2 cents I'd turn around and head elsewhere. I am tired had a basically good day, but dangit, someone cold have had the courtesy to give me their phone number, at least, if not the actual address I am to go to. I'm tired of renting rooms, and I'm tired of eating out, and I'm tired of....

· Registered
68 Posts
I'm really sorry you felt that way, hon :(
I sent my address and phone number to you in our pm conversations on August 3rd so you'd have it on hand. I've referenced the latter a couple of times, and you hadn't asked for it again, so I didn't think to send it again until this evening. I'm glad we got it all sorted out though :D

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Now I have only one mousie; he's a lot of mousie, though. Blue splashed or tri; not sure if the whitish patches are actually white or silver. He carries recessive yellow, and comes from a line with outstanding personality. The c locus dilutions are c^h and c.

My Bud traveled well; doesn't seem the worse for wear at all. He reminds of the boxer we had in the Trainor family. Bud curls up when the vehicle is in motion, and as soon as it stops he looks up, and then stands up on his hind legs begging for a treat. Even if I never got meeces back from any other breeders, I'd be set with Bud. he's over a year old, but that line has generally been long lived. His grandpa, Teddy, lived almost three years. He was a wild combination of recessive piled on recessive, so Bud could have a lot of 'tools' hidden in his genes.

I do plan on a trip to Winnipeg in late September, I think, depending on what's going on with the folk I'd be staying with. Apex seems to have had some fine results so far except with the yellow splashed/tris she already had. My line has had a lot of health problems, and I might wait to get a yellow off of Bud. The murine leukemia and poor breeding was why I told Emma that those should probably just be sold as pets. Of course, I have no control over what happens.

I'm hoping that rocketmdove has some success with the yellow trio I brought her in June/

My trip was filled with adventures and misadventures; I'll probably recount some of them, but I'm still kind of jangled from all the hours on the road. I drove from 11 am to 2 am; I'm getting my road chops back. It was very tiring. It's a good thing I like coffee.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Four weeks after my long trip and I am enjoying the bejeebers out of the one mousie I kept. Bud is being spoiled rotten; he gets to come out and play several times a day. Now, though, he doesn't want the hand unless he get a treat. so he gets toasted oat rings or cooked rice or bits of the cracker I'm munching. sometimes I give him little pieces of my banana or a tidbit of apple. I don't think he likes apple, though. I keep his tank next to me when I'm home, where I spend almost all my time in the bedroom as all the other furniture is gone except for a card table and a couple of folding chairs.

Not spending a couple of hours every night in the mousery was weird at first, but I'm enjoying being the owner of one pet mousie. I do plan on breeding again one day, when I've settled into a new place.

Right now I'm 'squatting' in the foreclosed house Nate and I used to own. It's a weird situation and not really comfortable. Most of my stuff is in storage, and I could be evicted, though that would take a month or two. What I'm hoping for is an offer from the management company that is in charge of residency at this house for me to get out right away in return for a nice big check. They had me sign a contract a couple of months ago, but I was not in good shape mentally and emotionally, and I failed to meet the deadline.

Being suicidal does that to a person. Getting through hour to hour was about all I was capable of for several months. I have considered checking myself into the hospital on a number of occasions, and may still do so if I feel like that again.

After having been diagnosed last week with a brain tumor, I was quite despondent, but the neurosurgeon thinks it's benign, so there will be no surgery in my immediate future. I'd rather not have a hospital as my next address.

It could be argued that most of this post belongs in my other thread, the Baja Manitoba Free Press.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Bud had been less sociable for about a week, then his coat started to look rough and he was kind of hunched up. Then he bit me. Actually, he put his teeth on my finger with a little pressure, then did it with a little more pressure, and THEN he bit me. I figure I should have gotten the message that he wasn't feeling affectionate or playful. I knew there was something wrong, and I had checked a couple of times before for mites; this time I spotted one. It's different than the tiny dark dots that move. This one was about 1/8 in. long and very light beige. It was big enough that I could see a body and a head.

Any one have any idea what they are? I could almost see legs, but not how many.

I had used up my Ivermectin Pour-On but I had some Sevin powder with my garden supplies. HE underwent a transformation from a hunched up miserable looking little guy to relaxed, smooth fur, actually wanting to come out of the tank and play. I'm so relieved! I wonder if this is something that, like with the Ivermectin, needs to be repeated twice more at weekly intervals.

I'll ask in the Health Section as well. I assume it would require subsequent doses.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Bud and I are in Winnipeg presently; I was kid of at loose ends after handling over the keys to the house. I cleaned the crap out of that place, as I wanted to be proud of it as I handed over the keys. My fingernails are down to nubs and my right index finger is split by the cuticle. A couple of others look like they want to do that woo. Cuticles and quicks split in about ten places. I'd wear gloves but I have nerve damage which reduces my abilities enough as it is.

The mousker is doing quite well; he doesn't seem to be bothered by traveling at all. He's happy to eat whatever I present to him, pretty much. He looks so much better than he did earlier before I treated him for whatever those bugs were. Hooray for Sevin powder!

The cat who lives here is avid and eager to get at Bud, but the door latches firmly. It's hard for a cat to get into a plexiglas tank, but I'm taking no chances. He calms and soothes me so much when I handle him. I have a real emotional attachment to mousies in general, and to my cuddlebuddy in particular; he's my Little Love. :cool:

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Today was Canadian Thanksgiving Day! I got a huge meal that I didn't have to lift a finger to prepare. I shared a bit of turkey and a wee piece of carrot with Bud. He gobbled up the turkey but doesn't seem interested in the carrot.

He had an adventure yesterday with Smudge the cat. I made the mistake of putting his tank in a no-so stable spot while I changed the bed. I went to the bathroom, and when I came out a few inutes later, one of the other people that live in the house came to me to tell me Smudge had shown up two floors down with Bud in his mouth. The poor guy was afraid I was going to be mad. It was so obviously my inattention that was to blame.

Bud is fine; he was rescued and put back in his tank, and seems none the worse for wear and still goes to peer up at Smudge when he comes to sit by the tank. It must have been a joy for the cat to finally get at that mosuie who has been right under his nose for almost two weeks. I suspect that the kitty has been sloughing off his duties catching wild meeces in the time we've been here.

It was an interesting dinner today; we have a couple of vegetarians in the house, so there were a lot of veggies and a fantastic salad in addition to turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
I'm sitting at my friend's apartment with Bud's tank at my knee; he is looking very perky. Other people that visit Margie have been enjoying seeing him and I hope that helps promote the popularity of meeces as pets. They see him crawling up my shirt onto my shoulder and are amazed at how cute, sweet an affectionate he is.

Soon we will be moving to a new place, which we will have until June 1, and in the menatime we will be following up on gaining access to subsidized housing. I will wait until I'm settled permanently before I start up my mousery again, but I am tempted to breed Bud if he's still in good shape at Christmas I plan on going back to Winnipeg for a week or two around that time. I may try to get a doe back from Apex to bring home with me. It's a thought, anyway.

I'm upset to see what has happened to a lot of the old material on this forum. So many weird ads and photos all blown up huge and what-not.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
I have started to move in to the cheap house James' friend of a friend steered us towards. It's a compromised situation in that the house ws absolutel filthy, and has had a pipe burst in the basement last winter, so there was quite a mold problem. I'm hoping that the residue will not make me or Bud ill.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
This morning I woke up with a hot mug of coffee in one hand and a mousie in the other. Bud likes to sit just under my collar, probably more so than when it wasn't so cold. This is the only time I've ever had just one mousie, and I have to say, it's delightful! Bud is not as friendly as I'd like, but then he was bred a couple of times. He's territorial and mocks lunges and does the 'almost a bite', puts his ears back when I reach for him in his tank. His little nips worry me a bit, but so far he hasn't broke the skin. I interpret these as warnings to back off.

He's fine once I get him out of the tank, and again, he gives me little warning nips when he wants to to back to the tank,

I'm using the AC adapter for my laptop as a tiny heater for Bud. I have it right up to the glass next to where he has his nest ball. He curls up right by the glass. He has a really big nest ball; I keep giving him more tissue and he keeps working it in; I guess it's pretty cozy in there now with the little heat source.

I really don't know when or if I'll ever get back to breeding, but I will always have at least one mousie to love.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
A piece if normalcy has returned to my life. I took a picture of Bud and posted it. My camera turned up in one of the boxes I recently brought into the house; the only other pix left on it were selfies of me and my wonderful therapist Betsy.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
My hard drive from the coffee-drenched and dead laptop has been hooked up and had it's stuff dumped into this laptop. I looked through some mousie pix, and spotted a photo of Bud.

He's a lot older than i thought. More like 2 1/2 years old. He's starteing to show ihis age some but still doing his job as cuddlebuddy. I took some of the stuff out of his tank and he has stopped nipping. I guess the hide and the tube must have caused him to feel more territorial.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Old Bud is starting to look frail; he has lost weight, and sits with his back hunched up. He still loves to cuddle, though; I had him on my shoulder, wrapped up in my hair, softly chirping and chittering like old mousies sometimes do. He seems to really enjoy the warmth of the skin at my neck and shoulder. I know how much I love a hot soak for my arthritic joints.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
Mouseless in Manitoba

That's the movie I'm currently living. I'm going to help a local friend get set up with a couple of young females in the next couple of weeks. I am excited for her! And it should mean seeing what has become of the five breeding trios I left with Apex last June. She got the best I had; I was sad handing them over, but I am so glad now to be able, I hope, to access them, handle them.

I miss mousey cuddling so much!!

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
In case anyone wonders I want to say that I still think about mousies, and wonder when I'll be situated to have a few again.

This was spurred by Mike Chiodo poasting that one his elderly meeces had shuffled off its mortal coil. It appeared to be a blue tri somewhat similar to my late Bud. That reminded me of how sweet it was to have just one little darling to lavish my care on. I miss that!

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
A few days ago I was asked to join a page called petrodents; it belongs to the same person who started a page of the same name about 10 years ago. It was a fun group for the most part. The problem was that the chat room attracted some really nasty characters, and people were so turned off that the site just kind of drizzled away. Then it was corrupted by bots of various sorts. The founder has tried to recreate as much of the same feel as it had before, and so far we have heard from about four others former members.

This was my first real experience with forums and chat rooms, so I think it's great to have a tiny bit of that back. It was through that site that I made contact with the young man who brought the tricolors from NYC to RodentFest, which I believe was in western Pennsylvania that year, where they were picked up by a Wisconsin breeder to bring back to the Midwest. I picked them up after a 300 plus mi. drive, and then back to Mpls with my lovely mousies. It was the best Mother's Day ever!

381 - 400 of 404 Posts