Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you have to do to register a name is let the Secretary (Anne Tomkins) know and if no-one else is using it then it's yours. My original name was Humbug Stud after the mouse who got me into the whole thing, now I show as an AP with SarahC on this forum as Cudbill & McKeown (eventually we will be Cudbill & Walgate as I'm engaged). We did try to think of a name but decided to stick with our surnames instead.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Hehe, the name Willow Walk has been used by me for a LONG time... in various roleplay and virtual pet games. (I am a geek of the nicest kind)
When I decided to establish a mousery rather than just keeping mice, I toyed with many names, but in the end decided to stick the name I like best, and its great to be using it in real life for a change!! hehe

The Willow part comes from my online name WillowDragon, which itself was derived from the craft name I picked for myself when I was 12 and researching Paganism; Willow DragonMoon :D

Not many people know that last part LOL

Willow xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Mine is the most boring and obvious possible -- Jack's Mousery. :p

In the US, mousery/stud names are registered with the AFRMA and the ECMA. They're separate organizations but everybody I know who is registered with both has the same name in both. You usually use your initials as the breeder's prefix, so for example a mouse named Amber, bred at Jack's Mousery would be "JM Amber" on any official paperwork or pedigrees.

And if Amber were sold or given to another breeder, those initials would come after her name. So if she were sold to WNT Mousery, she would be styled "JM Amber of WNT."

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
All I'd say is that cutesy names don't go down to well.If you go for a cute type name you are not likely to be taken to seriously although that might not bother you.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I agree. The same is true if you're not registered with an organization or club of some sort--you're not taken as seriously as you could be.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Yeah, i agree with Sarah - cute names don't get a good reception. i think mine's too cute now, Loganberry. But i named it after my first nephew, Logan. Still, as long as you do well at shows, it doesn't matter too much.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If you have more than one species and both are rodents, you can use "Rodentry" instead of "Mousery," or, just use your name.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No-one uses 'mousery', it's usually 'stud' or their name. Many people simply show under their name.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
In the US, it seems showing with "Mousery" in the name is commonplace, but not universal. That's why I have both (my name, plus "mousery").

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think Willow Stud is quite nice, feminine but not too cutesy. I think there is a hedgehog breeder who uses something similar to Brambley hedge, not that it really matters. I agree with Sarah though that it isn't a serious sounding name :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Willow Stud could work... but surely someone already has that?? hehee When I eventually get my beehind in gear and send off this NMC membership, i'll ask :D

Willow xx

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Willow Stud sounds good, mine is officially Wolfgang Stud (although I regret that now!) I always use my name for showing. though.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I like Morris. It reminds me of Morris dancing, and has an air of respectability about it, yet it is an approachable sort of name too.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
My apologies then. :p

My birth name also was not very aesthetically pleasing, which is why I changed it. :p

Whatever name you pick, I'm sure it will be good and fitting, simply because you're putting a lot of thought into it. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.