Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have read my other thread, one of my females gave birth a couple of days ago
They are all still alive and doing okay, but the majority of the times I go down and peek into the room or change food/water the mother is not with them..
I'm guessing this is okay and they must be getting fed as they are all still alive.
But, I have the three females in the same cage (sisters), the mother, a heavily pregnant one (guessing she will give birth tonight), and another who is not pregnant despite being in with a male.
Anyway, whenever I go and check on them it is usually the non-pregnant, non-mother one who is in with the babies, or her and the mum together. I know she is not hurting the babies as I have seen her washing/grooming them, making the nest better, and bringing babies closer together if they wriggle away.

Basically, my question is, is this okay?
Should I put her in a different cage?

Also, I think my other female will give birth tonight, is it okay for her to have her babies in the same cage even if they will be a couple of days younger? She has made her nest in a seperate hide box thing.
I have two spare cages so I don't mind seperating them..

Sorry that was quite long :shock:

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
You ought to be able to see the milk bellies on the pinkies. It sounds like things are proceeding normally. The does should do fine with both litters together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moustress said:
You ought to be able to see the milk bellies on the pinkies. It sounds like things are proceeding normally. The does should do fine with both litters together.
Okay, I think I can see milk bellies, plus I saw them suckling earlier. Does it matter about the third female who isn't pregnant?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts