Pet Mice Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
In my science teacher's mouse room, I put my red eyed-dove male into his bin with solid blacks and PEWs. What came from that litter was a ton of lavenders( black eyes) and blacks. The next generation (it was a closed population and I removed my male) bourn a ton of doves, a couple lavenders, and 2 very lovely blues (one was banded. The only marked mouse in generations! Random mutation). I put a dominant-yellow Dutch male in with a dove and she gave birth to stone, black, dove, and one blue.

So it's my understanding that lavender blue and dove are all closely related genetically. I also got a random satin-blue by breeding two agouti's (grandparents gold and agouti). That litter had some unexpected things.

· Registered
121 Posts
I've read that dove and chocolate make Champaign, and that silver and fawn make lavender. All of the science teacher's mice were lab mice inbred to only contain black and white genes. They were all genetically similar due to this inbreeding.

As it happens, my starters were chamaign, silver, and fawn! So there's that. I'm not entirely sure where the blue came in. I am hoping that I can somehow pull the chocolate out of the champaign's progeny's genes.

· Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I'm not sure what you'd get putting together silver and fawn, but it might well look similar to lavender. Normally, lavender is pink-eyed lilac: aa bb dd pp. Since you have both champagne and silver, that's in the cards. Silver is pink-eyed blue (aa B dd pp), so that'd be where the blue came from.

· Registered
94 Posts
fancyfeet said:
I am obsessed with Siamese! But you cant just "start" those and they aren't available anywhere around me. Sounds like an awesome plan! I am excited to see where it takes you!
If you ever want to truck up to New York, or know someone coming through, I have at least one Siamese doe. Probably more, but she's the only one whose points are definitely in. Only the first generation out of the feeder bin but at least you'd have the gene to work with!

· Premium Member
2,244 Posts
There'll be some of the show quality Siamese out of Wisconsin coming to the Indianapolis show in March, if you're making it up. I don't know whether that crowd will make it down for the Knoxville show in the summer, though, and that's more your neck of the woods.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.