Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our cat millie has recently started coming into season her 1st time was around 8 weeks ago and she has been in season 3 times already the problem is she has started peeing everywhere since she has started coming into season...

We just dont have the cash to have her done and as she never goes out,never given the chance to go out we didnt think getting her done would be an issue but now the peeing is becoming an issue...also she has turned pretty spiteful...biting and scratching my 15 month old and 2 and a half year old for walking past her! she was so placid and docile before this...

Anyone else experienced this? any help would be much appreciated...

thanks in advance

Fae x

·
Registered
22 Posts
She might have an illness. Sometimes the peeing in places other than the litter box is a sign of a UTI. I'd have her checked. Another thing to think about is if you introduced another pet into her home. Or have you changed her litter to a different kind recently.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
my dogs wee in the house when they are in season and also fall out with each other.Hormones.The cat protection league will neuter for free ,do you have one in your area?It would be the best option as she is likely to be in season for the summer months and difficult to live with.Some other cat rescues will also help with neutering.

·
Registered
721 Posts
There are a few things you can try.
1 is you need to learn her body language before she does a wee, so that you can catch her before she does it and take her to her box :)
2, get a water spray and when caught in the act spray her saying NO! pick her up and take her to her box place her in it saying good girl in a gentle voice, I think cats go on tone of voice rather than understanding what you are saying ;)
3,(please dont take this the wrong way I'm just trying to help ;) ) with the spiteful behavour it could be that she has had enough of the children being rough with her and the only way she know's how to tell them is to lash out at them, if she has no where to get away (like out side) then this is her only way of getting the message across as when she does it they go away.
You need to try and teach the children to leave her alone (I know its going to be hard) otherwise she is going to become a nasty cat. When she is lying down she needs to know she is not going to be bothered or if she is on her bed, she needs to be the one to initiate contact. She needs an area of the home where she can go where the children cannot get to her. Cats claws are nasty and someone will get hurt badly if the situation is not sorted. Do you clip her claws? I had a house cat when I was growing up and my mum clipped his claws, just make sure you dont clip too close to the wick :)
We are trying to teach Eryn to leave Ruby alone atm, she loves her to bits and cuddles her all the time but Ruby needs time on her own without being bothered by little ones, she is pregnant too so needs it even more now! We love Ruby and dont want to have to get rid of her because of us not teaching our children to leave her alone.

I hope this has helped. This is the second time I have had to type this out as last time I went to add something in to the text, I hit my back space button and the whole text disappeared! I was so cross. So half of what I wanted to say is not there as I cannot remember what I put :roll: which is really annoying as it sound really good and was full of advice! PANTS!!!
Oh well hope you dont take any of it the wrong way I just want to help you before something happens which may result in you having to get rid of Millie.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fae,

I have breeding cats, they all use the litter tray when they are calling and I've not heard of this type of behaviour in cats when they're in call - it may just be a coincidence.

Darla is spot on in respect to why cats often stop using the litter box - once they assocate the litter box with something unpleasant it can stop them using it either partly or all together.

You can try a couple of things - if it's a covered box, try it uncovered - or vice versa. Also try using a very fine litter - it's more comfortable for them to use. You could also change the tray, or put it somewhere else to break the habit. Also, be careful with what you clean up the puddles with - cat's will urinate in the same spot and any cleaning materials with ammonia will send the same signals as urine.

Not to preach - but cats will call every 3 weeks or so once they get going and will lose condition and possible become anaemic if they are not mated for a long period of time; so you'll need to think about whether to mate or spay her as soon as you can.

Paul

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well some of you may remember buddy...the dog we took in for a while whilst a rescue centre found him a new home...

Anyway the rescue place that dealt with this have very kindly said they will have her done for us.We spoke to the lady that runs the rescue and also our vets and it is all being finalised monday so all being well millie should be done very soon...

With regards to the children touching her carrying her blah blah holly doesnt bother her only now and again will give her a cuddle and jayden has calmed down a hell of a lot with this...

We have also tried moving her box,using a new box,using new litter so we have tried a number of things...i did read on lots of sites thats its very common for cats to start peeing kinda calling for males ( similar to the way males do) anyway i knew her being in season time after time and never having what she wanted what take its affect on her in the long run so the sooner she gets done the better!

Thanks though guys :)

Fae x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts