Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 female mice from a show breeder, I've had them about 6 weeks and they are constantly pooping and peeing in their food bowl! When they had a wire tank topper, I tried securing it on the top mesh level - didn't help. Tried higher and lower edged bowls, didn't help. Moved away from and closer to their nest -- they still do it! Has anyone else had this problem?? I mean they actually start using it as a toilet once the first one of them goes in there. What do I do?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do that too when I don't have time to clean their bowl out -- but they also have a litter pan they use AND they've started peeing in a plastic bottomless igloo recently. They like to keep it contained -- just in many places apparently! :s

·
Registered
121 Posts
biologically, mice are programmed to defecate where they eat to indicate to other mice that the eating location is a safe place. the logic I think is if they are there long enough to poop and still haven't been eaten, it's safe for their pals to do the same. I just flick the poo out everyday when I feed them. lots of other animals poop where they eat also- namely rabbits, actually. it's okay for them to get some pee and poo on their food as long as you offer fresh food daily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey so my mice like to pee in there water dish and I am not shure if they still drink it but I read somewhere that mice get diarrhea when dehydrated and I think they have diarrhea😰

Also my baby mouse (I had 8 but 7 died because the mother decided to be a cannibal and some babys jumped out of my hand) keeps putting bedding in its food and water dish which I know it can dig for food but the bedding sokes up all the water and I can't put a bottle because it will climb out and it's a fish tank

And one last question is it okay that I separated the mom and dad from the baby or should I put the dad in with the baby?

Sorry for a long one but if someone could answer these questions I would really appreciate it. 😅

I didn't have this much drama when I had my hamsters.😅🥲

1 - 11 of 11 Posts