Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought mice food from a store where i bought the mices. It has peanuts with it's shell intact, red peppers, alot of colorful different shape nuts/food, alot of white small nuts, sunflower? seed and thats about it. Is this right for mice? ..............also what treats out there can i give them? I fed them cheese and apples...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I make my own food. Corn is iffy some breeders feed ot with no problems and others say it causes tumors, etc in their mice.

I feed:
* Wild bird seed/cockatiel seed
*High Quality dog food
*Ramen noodles (uncooked)
*Pumpkin seeds
*Whole grain cereal(cheerios/corn flakes)
*Sunflower seeds
*Split peas (uncooked)
*Rice

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I wouldn't feed cheese if I were you... it can have bad affects on mousey tummies, plus all that fat is really not good. Most dairy products can be iffy.

Also, for apples and other greens, don't feed too much or too often or it can lead to diahorrea which is lethal if unnoticed and untreated.

W xx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
It sounds like you need to get some grains like oats and barley, plus some lower protein dog food to add in to what you have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
SoontobeGrandpa said:
really corns = tumors? i might take that out then..windyhill, do you have a picture of that food?
Corn doesn't cause tumours. If it's stored badly, it can grow fungi which produce toxins that can cause cancer and have other harmful effects. There are strict rules here so that corn deemed fit for human consumption isn't (much) contaminated but the rules for pet food and livestock feed allow for much higher levels of contamination. Unfortunately, I don't know what the laws are like in Guam. The same fungi can affect many different grains but corn and peanuts are the most commonly affected.

Everyone's given you good advice though - I don't think I have much to add!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aw why cheese? my 2 mices love eating cheese especially the hard ones and wow i didn't know about that about apples. the last time i fed them apples was days ago..thank god!

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Most animals are fairly lactose intolerant (this is why many human babies can't have cow's milk) so it is difficult to digest for them. It is also very fatty as someone has already mentioned.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Theres alot of breeder on here who say corn causes cancer and tumors.
I think of one even said after they cut out corn they had less tumors show up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't know if its true but been told not to feed rice to mice or rats unless its been soaked for quite awhile for the sake of the rice swelling in the rodent

But I may be wrong

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
No it isn't, cheese is NOT a food you should give mice. Peanut butter is debatable, some will give it and some say you never should feed it.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
For meeces without a long history of tumor free generations, corn can cause cancer. I have heard it said from more than one source that purebred English show meeces rarely, if ever, get tumors. Females are the most susceptible because of the rapid cycling of hormones along with the 3-6 day estrus cycle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
mike k said:
Don't know if its true but been told not to feed rice to mice or rats unless its been soaked for quite awhile for the sake of the rice swelling in the rodent

But I may be wrong

Mike
When I was a kid, I ate almost a whole box of uncooked macaroni, from the Kraft Macaroni & Cheese mix. I can assure you, based on experience, that if you intend to feed rice or pasta in a significant volume, the rodents will fully appreciate you taking the time to hydrate it first.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
moustress said:
For meeces without a long history of tumor free generations, corn can cause cancer. I have heard it said from more than one source that purebred English show meeces rarely, if ever, get tumors. Females are the most susceptible because of the rapid cycling of hormones along with the 3-6 day estrus cycle.
My mice have a lot of mixed corn in their diets. Corn does not cause cancer. That is such a random thing to say.....

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Recently I've actually added maize to my mouse diet. I have found out that not only is it a source of vitamin B1, vitamin B5, dietary fibre (the hind gut type that very useful for rodents), vitamin C, phosphorus and manganese but (most importantly for us breeders) it contains folate, which is important in preventing birth defects.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I also feed corn (maize) to my mice with no problem. It's not a major (or even a daily) part of their diet, but especially in the summer I will cut up a fresh ear from the fields and let them munch on it. I very rarely have tumors of any type.

I wonder if the issues some people have had with corn is not actually the quality of food they were feeding and not the corn in and of itself. Of course if you fed your mice ONLY corn, there could be problems, but nobody is advocating that.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
SarahY said:
Recently I've actually added maize to my mouse diet. I have found out that not only is it a source of vitamin B1, vitamin B5, dietary fibre (the hind gut type that very useful for rodents), vitamin C, phosphorus and manganese but (most importantly for us breeders) it contains folate, which is important in preventing birth defects.

Sarah xxx
This is really interesting- I have been mixing my own feed for my mice as it was the only way I could provide them with a corn/maize free diet, having noted the concerns raised about corn maybe contributing to Tumours in mice. However, I had recently posted my concerns about whether I was feeding my mice correctly as they were a little slimmer than I would like to see them.One thing that I hadn't mentioned was that my mice seem to have Quite soft,smelly droppings and I have noticed that more than once one of them in the cage has had diarrhoea. It seems to me that maybe something in their diet isn't right and having just read Sarah's post maybe it is actually the lack of corn/maize that is the problem particularily if it is a good source of dietary fibre for hind-gut health?
I would have thought that if their hind-gut wasn't working well could it effect absorption of nutrients and maybe effect their appetites- hence my thin mice? Or have I got it the wrong way round, has nutritional value been absorbed before it gets to the hind-gut?(my biolgy was never very good :oops: )
Anybody any ideas? :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts