Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would ask what other people think about the Maxey cages. I understand they're to "uniform" exhibiting and to maintain annonimity but does anyone else think they've become a little.......out dated??

I can't be the only one enormously frustrated at still not being able to show because I still can't get hold of any Maxey cages second hand or new. I can't afford to have them made unless I buy 20+ which will probably take me another year to save up for :?

I could be wrong but I think that Mouse Shows are the only animal shows where you have to use a standard show cage, at guinea pig and rabbit shows pens are provided, at hamster shows you can buy (or make) your own cages but you can also hire them from shows.

This isn't an option with the Maxeys.

Does anyone else think it's possibly time to move into the new century and expand the theme slightly??

I was just thinking if we were able to show in 2-3 types of cages that are more widely available as long as the exhibitor's name isn't written on the top of the cage they would still maintain their annonimity?? As for "uniform" they could all be a set size perhaps??

The NMC are trying to encourage new members into the fancy, wouldn't this help open things up a bit??

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
theres an ad for second hand maxeys in nmc news, the number to call is xxxxxxxxxx and the person is peter barker x

Mod note: Edited to remove private phone number. Please contact via PM for information like this.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I'm having a go at making them. I have 24 front grill thingies, and all being well I shall have about 16 for sale - with sale priority for newbie people who don't have their own maxeys yet. I'm not a DIY master by any stretch of the imagination, so it'll take me a little while and they might not be good enough. By hey, I'm gonna give it a go anyway :)

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Good for you Sarah, I want to see photos! Naomi, Maxeys are actually really good for their purpose despite being designed around 100 or more years ago. There is another member also looking into getting some made who is a member of this forum, I'm sure we'll hear how that goes too. In the meantime I'm afraid it's either make some, borrow some for a show or ring Peter again to make sure he hasn't forgotten you. If you tell him it's stopping you showing you may get priority if there is someone else on the list who already has some... you'd have to ask!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he knows I'm "desperate" but I'm not alone because he told me at Honley he has people waiting for 40 units :?

problem is if people aren't giving them to him then he doesn't have any to pass down.......I'm glad they're suited to their purpose but I will (for now) just have to take your word for it ;)

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Have you tried contacting Brian Emmett? He was making them (unlidded) for £8 when I last spoke to him about it. Perhaps you could see if he'd make a couple for you until you can get more from Peter...

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The lidded are easier for stewards to carry but that's beside the point really :lol: :roll: I like the lidded because you can close the lid over for travelling or in cold weather - conversely in summer/agricultural shows I will show in unlidded Maxeys to aid ventilation. There isn't a huge difference and both are just as acceptable, it's down to preference really.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
new unlidded are less expensive to buy than new lidded.Cage birds have to be exhibited in show cages equivalent to maxeys.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The NFRS ask their exhibitors to show in standard plastic tanks that exhibitors have to purchase themselves.

They were only available through the fancy until a few years back when the manufacturer literally broke the mould so we then changed to a slightly different tank, but we made sure it was one that people can buy through pet suppliers.

You do have to have a standard mesh lid that can be purchased through the club or you can make your own.

We do try to ensure that there are always show pens for hire and sale at all shows.

I have been lucky enough to buy 4 maxeys recently but I would love some more. It is such a shame they are so hard to get hold of.

Lisa

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I agree, I think Maxeys are great for the job. I sympathise that they're hard to get hold of but be comforted by the fact that they last a long time when you get them - most of my Maxeys are probably older than me!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts