Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I have a very pretty mouse and I'm planning to breed from her, it'll be her first time. However, I was wondering about the male babies, I'm planning to keep all or the ones I can't find homes for too, is it possible to have more than one male living together in a bigger space or will the always fight? Do they get lonely if the have to live alone?

Also, although I know it's not an exact science and nothings guarenteed, does anybody know the avarage female:male ratio?

Thanks,
Nat x

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
It is possible to keep brothers together after they are grown up. There usually is no problem until the bucks are four or five months old. Territoriality seems to develop at about that stage. After that there are a few things that can minimize fighting. Removing wheels, hides, tubes or anything that can be climbed on, gotten into or used for play minimizes opportunity for territoriality to rear it's ugly head. Keeping the boys in a smaller tank seems to help. Even with all that, you will have to keep a close eye on the boys, as damage can be done by harassment that may not be evident as visible injuries. A mousie can die from stress as there may be attempts to prevent an individual from feeding, drinking water, or even sleeping without being harried and interrupted. Barbering is often observed.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Think very carefully about this one - your doe could give birth to 12 bouncing baby bucks who nobody wants to home because 'they smell' :roll: I personally don't have any problems keeping bucks together from a young age but this is not to say that yours would be ok - every line is different, some will fight to the death. Do you mind if I ask why you're breeding this litter? From what you have said I am guessing that you won't be culling and therefore they are for pets rather than feeder (or show)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MouseBreeder said:
I hate to say it, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a couple more pet does?
You'd think but there aren't that many people close by to me that sell them and I have a little girl who I would quite like to breed from. This isn't something my other half and I are taking lightly, we understand we may get boys and have to keep them in single homes. However, I would be worried about keeping them in singles, just incase they got lonely and depressed. We scoured the internet, reading up on breeding, were just looking for more specific advice.

Ta, Nat ;) x

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
MouseBreeder said:
I hate to say it, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a couple more pet does?
I'm glad you said it--keeps me from looking like "the meanie" again! :lol:

I also recommend, if you do breed from your mouse, to cull the bucks. It's better for the ones who are left, especially if she has a litter of 12, 14, or more (which does happen).

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
It sounds like you just want to experience having a litter of babies for the pleasure of it; there's nothing wrong with that on the face of it, as long as you are ready to house the offspring and care for them no matter what the composition of the litter. Just be aware that it may not be a walk in the park; does can have problems, the babies may not be healthy. You could end up losing your little girl.

Just be sure to sex and separate them when they get to that age otherwise you can end up with dozens more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.