Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to learn how to make my own Rub's, I have read through Dom's guide and found it enlightning and I think i could give it a go, I just have a few questions.

Where to buy the wire mesh, tags etc? Is there a website you can order it cheaply from? I know where to get the boxes ;)
If people know a good supplier of water bottles, bowls, wheels etc, that would be cool too.

Also, I'm not overly keen on the idea of using a soldering iron if i'm honest. What other ways is there to cut the sections from the boxes and make the holes etc?

Any tips would be very helpful!

Willow xx

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hubby made my rubs for me, the wire came from a garden centre down the road from us as B&Q, focus and wickes never had the right size wire the gauge was too wide at these places. It came in sheets and Kev managed to get 3 rubs out of a sheet with he reckons enough wire in a sheet for a total of 5 rubs per sheet. The souldering iron came from B&Q and the cable ties cames from wilkinsons. Kev reckons that a soldering iron is probably the best way to cut a rub as the plastic might split if cut another way.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
we mask ours up with masking tape as a guide, then cut the front and lid out using a dremmel, all holes for zippy clips are done with a drill, 1 of the smallest drill bits and a slightly bigger hole for the bottle. we buy clear or white zippy clips from screwfix and we buy the smallest hole wire from a place called spr for £15 a roll thats made over 20 rubs and we still have loads left x

·
Registered
293 Posts
We made our very first RUB by cutting the plastic and yes it did break and kinda splinter in places so the next one Mum is going to use a soldering iron to cut. I have a 64ltr im converting this week anyone got any idea how much wire that will need roughly speaking ?

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need three of those! LOL At least, and probably more in the distant future, but not yet.
Determined to keep this mousery small and focused (As much as I can)

Willow xx

·
Registered
22 Posts
I converted my first two RUB's last night, and I have to say, what a palava!!!! :shock:

I used a soldering iron to make holes in the lid, and then a jigsaw to to cut the lid off. The first one was fine, but the jigsaw obviously makes the plastic melt, so the cut out bit of the lids gets kind of stuck in although it's cut out, and when I pushed it out i wasn't that careful, so the plastic splintered a bit. It was still usable though.

I got my teenage son to help with all the tie wraps, it was soul destroying! :)

One question though. I got my mesh from B&Q and the holes are 13mm x 13mm. Will the mice escape from that?! :?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Yes they probably will. If they can squeeze their head out, they'll get their body out generally. Ideally mouse mesh needs to be less than 8mm square, preferably 5 or 6mm. You could attach another sheet of 13mm mesh over the top, off-set so that you end up with four 6.5mm x 6.5mm squares to every one 13mm square.

Sarah xxx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts