Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aren't they absolutely awful?

:eek: :lol:

I can only assume that with the "ch" allele being acromelanistic and with her now living in a very hot, humid environment (even though it is air-conditioned inside where she is), she is molting more than she would in Europe due to the temperature change...do your European Siamese molt this excessively?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Poor Jack... I know it's horrible to show, but I think she looks kinda pretty like that. Hopefully she'll even out soon!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I don't mind too terribly much. I just find her interesting/funny to look at. I'm not showing her or keeping siamese babies from her (only black). Hopefully within a year or two there will be no siamese. :p

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
yes they do moult as badly over here.I think there are some rather pretty variations.Pearl and silver grey are worse than siamese.I did think of suggesting moulty mice pics for the photo competition.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
if you ever have the mis fortune to introduce ringworm to your stock you will experience fabulous moult marks.Perfect circles like dapple horses and on fawns the circles are occasionally white.Ruined for ever for showing but unique looking.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha! Well, I have had ringworm on my mice (and on me!) before, but it never looked like this! :p

This girl looked normal less than two weeks ago:

She is just hitting the 4 month-old mark, so I think that has something to do with it, as well.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I've never had one moult back into a normal coat,they stay two tone.It's the big draw back of siamese and I haven't showed a silver grey in months because of it.I've also had ringworm,infact multiple times and the dogs, who rummage through the mouse cleaning out rubbish.Tut.Not for a long time now though.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
she looks like she's been attacked with photoshop! :lol:
pretty though :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't breed shaded or marked varieties. I got her because she was the only ae/ae (extreme black) female available to me. I'm breeding the siamese out and giving it to other fanciers. I expect it to take a couple years, at least, due to the nature of recessive genes being able to "hide"...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Personally I think she looks really pretty like that!! If you could breed a mouse to look like that it would be really cool :lol: I've never noticed my siameses moult, but then again mine are wonky :roll: (although it could also be because I haven't had them for anywhere hear as long as I'm sure most of you have!)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh dear, Sarah! That mouse looks so strange! I "feel your pain." :p

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
you get them in both colours but this one was the lighter shade to begin with.Waste of time as a variety for showing really.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I've got a cream doe who now looks like a splodgy stone-like rumpwhite due to moult. Luckily for me she is a breeding doe only.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Jack,my goodness that sure is an impressive molt line on your siamese- who is lovely by the way, even when she does look like a mosaic mouse! :D
SarahC, I think your grey is so pretty and with that molt she looks like she's got a fuzzy spot on her head-cute!
My mousie went through a molt recently and had a very obvious molt line which stayed for weeks- I thought I was going to be stuck with a two-tone mouse! :lol:
She did change colour quite alot with it, here are some pics :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts