Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so since I've had Treacle I have absolutely fallen in love with long haired mice, but from what I know there aren't many long haired mice in Scotland or even the UK as a whole.
Although I've never really want to breed, I love long haired so much I kinda feel it has to be done!
So before I start doing all my genetics research I'm going to start of with a simple question to find out whether or not it's all worth it, is long hair a dominant gene or recessive?

Thanks guys, also if you can take a look at Treacle's post in the new & existing mice and hazard a guess at his coat colour :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
both of a mating pair must have the LH gene go make a LH baby i believe

·
Registered
755 Posts
From what I know you can make more long haired babies even if you don't have two LH mice...it would take a few generations though. If you breed LH mouse to short haired all the babies would then be only carriers of LH. You then keep one of the best mice from that litter to breed back to the mother...I think then you have a 50% chance of getting a true long haired offspring.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree with Beth there. So that means that long hair is recessive to short hair.

If you breed LH mouse to short haired all the babies would then be only carriers of LH. You then keep one of the best mice from that litter to breed back to the mother...I think then you have a 50% chance of getting a true long haired offspring.
Yup, you are right. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts