Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're not born yet, but keep checking back I'm going to have lots of pictures and updates. I'm excited... All the babies should be broken marked.

Here's a picture of the mother, Molly:

I think she's due in about a week, maybe a week and a half.

Here's the daddy, TJ:

I was having some trouble breeding him, so Molly pregnant is a pleasant surprise.

Any bets on how many, what colors, bucks vs does? I'm open to feedback!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I just cant get any of my broken bucks to reproduce!! Im getting really frustrated with it now. Good Luck with your litter.

·
Registered
310 Posts
ian said:
I just cant get any of my broken bucks to reproduce!! Im getting really frustrated with it now. Good Luck with your litter.
i was having issues with my broken buck as well! took 2 months to get one girl pregnant!

i feel like there is going to be a lot of variety in that litter! make sure you post lots of pics!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will actually be a forth generation breeding, on TJ's side. Molly I bought from the store, but TJ is from my mouse Ash, who is agouti and carries the broken gene. TJ's dad was from the store as well, a broken buck the same color as him. Ash was my first baby born, both of her parents were store bought. One was a broken black buck, another an argente doe. So I haven't had any trouble breeding my broken bucks. He's the first broken buck I've kept, thought, and at first I thought he was too young to breed. Then... :eek: SURPRISE!!! Molly is pregnant, so I'm very pleased. I've been told Molly is a recessive yellow, but no clue on TJ. He's a greyish brown color.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have babies today! 11 pups, all BE. Can't wait to see their colors!!! And I did pretty good at getting the right birthdate. 5/10/10 on the spot.

Here's the pic:

You can expect lots more pictures as they grow, and get more interesting to look at.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the little ones on Day 2:

You can see my dog in this one... What you don't see is the next picture when I'm smacking her away from the pups. I love my dog, but this is the one who knocked over my mouse cage and killed my first buck (after he got three girls pregnant, thank goodness!), so I know better than to let her near the pups. Now my other dog--she can have mice crawling all over her and not care. She's a sweetheart, and when we used to rescue kittens, she would mother them and protect them from the other dogs.

Just for kicks, here's my dog Kelly, the mother:

The other dog (with the mice) is Holly March.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, you can see the parents at the top, so your guess is as good as mine! I was told Molly is a recessive yellow, but I don't know what that means, genetically speaking. TJ is... I don't know. I saw another mouse that looks like him that someone said was stone. So what does stone color mean? I have no idea where Molly came from, but TJ's father was a broken buck the same color as him, TJ's mother was an agouti carrying the broken gene, the agouti's mother was an agente, the agouti's father was a broken black buck. So, what does that mean?

NOT A FREAKIN' CLUE!!! :eek:

So, any guesses would be really nice :D

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Your doggie is cute, but looks like an indolent little squirt. Ooh, I didn't see the first one right off; big bad old nose there.

Do any of the babies have pink eyes? They all look black as far as I can see.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The babies are all dark eyed, and I'm pleased. Nothing against pink eyes, I just associate pink eyes with lab mice, so I like all mine to be dark. Both parents are dark eyed.

Here's Day 3 pics:
I'm experimenting with differnt formats, so bear with me...

That little guy at the end took a flying leap just as I snapped a picture, so of course I had to show it!

Here's the little one as he landed.

Bucks or does? No clue. I have a really hard time sexing the babies until they get fur and I can see the nipples.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
And the spectators watch in awe as Pinkie starts the jump which should see him leaping over 10 pinkie siblings....

And the crowd boos!! He fails miserably!!! A pitiful attempt to enter the Guiness Book of Mousie Records!!!

:lol: :lol:

Sowee! Lost my marbles tonight!! I couldn't tell the sex of my babies either until I could see the nipples on the girlies - but they are so cute regardless of what they are!!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol Zany, you had me rolling on the floor for ten minutes! I realized I only had butt pictures, so here's some face pictures for today:

Day 4:

This is where I learned how hard it is to get pinkies to line up... and then stay there!

No markings so far... Usually by this point, if there are any dark babies (agouti, black) I can see them already. It's not possible for them to be all BEW, is it??? Nothing against pure white mice, but I like good contrast in their coats. I guess I'll just keep waiting... (Nothing else I can do anyway! :roll: )

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Autumn2005 said:
lol Zany, you had me rolling on the floor for ten minutes! I realized I only had butt pictures, so here's some face pictures for today:
Glad to have given you a laugh :lol: Mine would never sit in a little line - by the time I got three lined up and went to pick up a fourth they decided "TO heck with this!" and squirmed off :lol: Can't wait for piccies as they get older.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have shadow spots!!! One of them has a really good combination of light/dark, and about five or so appear to have only color on the rump, and some you can't see spots at all yet. The next few days will tell us more about their spots/colors.

Here are my day 5 pics:

The one at the far left is the one with the most dark so far. The two on the right look likt they're sumo wrestling.

Here's a different angle of them.

Here is a close up of the one at the end. I hope it's a buck, if so, I might breed him back to his grandmother (heterozygous Agouti carrying broken). Would that be line breeding or inbreeding? I'm waiting for a second litter from the same buck and a different doe. I'm going to compare the best buck from each litter and breed the one I like better to the grandmother.

If Little Spot is a doe, well she's still pretty. Maybe I'll breed her to another buck, but right now her father is my only proven buck. I'm still waiting for my other two to man up and get their girlfriends pregnant.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts