Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right so i got a pair f lion head rabbits the other the the women was moveing and she didnt have enough space to take them with her so she new i used to keep rabbits and i got them

now ive never kept long hired variety of rabbits b4 and was wondering if any pne knew if there was any particular type of bedding used as the normal shavings seem to realy cling to the mane uner the neck and the fringes of the coat. and the doe had a two serious mats at the base of her ears

i mean if its a case of a major groom every day them thats fine but ive had them three days and that's what ive been doing but 30mins after the groom they are away as bad as ever :shock: so im not realy sure what to do

they are realy beautifull rabbits and i dont mind putting in the time to groom them but if there is some way i can stop them getting covered in shaveings i wold love to know as it cant be comfortable for them

adn b4 any one asks ill try and get pics up asap

thanks
Alan

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi Alan

I have 2 lionheads and I just bed them on hay and newspaper, no shavings. They are pretty good at using a litter tray so the hutch does not get that messy. Just wish I could get my cavies to use litter trays too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
julieszoo said:
Hi Alan

I have 2 lionheads and I just bed them on hay and newspaper, no shavings. They are pretty good at using a litter tray so the hutch does not get that messy. Just wish I could get my cavies to use litter trays too!
good idea the i will give the hay and papaer a try

dangermouse said:
I would also suggest hay and paper.... plus they really need grooming daily to prevent knotting. :D
yea i thought as much and its not a big deal though im not intending on having any more than these two i think the doe is pregnant as she was in with the buck and the women said that he has just started to try and mount her :eek: :eek: :eek:
but im not intending on any more litters after this one

and ill try my hardest not to keep any of the kits :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
julieszoo said:
Hi Alan

good idea the i will give the hay and papaer a try

dangermouse said:
I would also suggest hay and paper.... plus they really need grooming daily to prevent knotting. :D
yea i thought as much and its not a big deal though im not intending on having any more than these two i think the doe is pregnant as she was in with the buck and the women said that he has just started to try and mount her :eek: :eek: :eek:
but im not intending on any more litters after this one

and ill try my hardest not to keep any of the kits :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have a cashmere lop cross he has all the characteristics of a cashmere though even hay causes his coat to matt. i personally don't like keeping them on wire bases no disrespect to people who do its just my preferance anyway i keep my boy on what i call tea bag bedding i also keep my lionhead x on it and i use it as mouse bedding and my guinea's love it too. its basically the off cuts after tea bags have been cut out of it i get it from a local farm store as ts cheaper than my local petshop you get it by the bale size its all compact and lasts well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You could always trim the coat a bit too, if you are not showing then they don't need to be in full coat do they? Mine are not double maned so they are not as fluffy as some. And I always take the scissors to my longhaired cavies as the weather gets warmer(if they haven't already done the job for me) ;) The teabag bedding sound interesting, will have to look out for that, is it a bit like safebed (the soft paper strips)?

·
Registered
66 Posts
julieszoo said:
You could always trim the coat a bit too, if you are not showing then they don't need to be in full coat do they? Mine are not double maned so they are not as fluffy as some. And I always take the scissors to my longhaired cavies as the weather gets warmer(if they haven't already done the job for me) ;) The teabag bedding sound interesting, will have to look out for that, is it a bit like safebed (the soft paper strips)?
i also trim my longhaired cavies i trim my cashmere too as he gets too warm as well as matted

as for the tea bag bedding i went to take a photo of it forgetting i had used it all today im my mass animal clean out day so heres the best pic i could take excuse my rex boy jacko he was not chuffed at the rude awaking lol. it comes in the same size as shaving horse bales. hope the pic shows what its like

1 - 9 of 9 Posts