Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I know that breeding brother to sister is inbreeding, but what about breeding cousin to cousin, and grandparent to grandchild? Is that inbreeding or line breeding at that point? I ask because I'm going to take the best broken buck from my current buck's two litters, and breed back to his mother. She's an agouti carrying the broken gene, and I really want a broken agouti, but I don't want to inbreed too closely.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Cousin to cousin, uncle to niece, etc etc are technically linebreeding. Although I don't really believe in 'linebreeding', I reckon it is a term coined to pacify ignorant people who think that inbreeding is a dirty word :lol: I've you are using a closed gene pool, that to me is inbreeding.

Inbreeding is a fantastic way (maybe I'd go so far as to say the only way) to improve your mice. Don't be afraid to heavily inbreed, it's the only way you'll bring out the hidden faults and cement in the good points.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
336 Posts
Agreed.

I have had my mice for 3 years and sourced them from Dave Bumford and Loganberry stud and since i started i have introduced just 1 other line from Don Parky and had a freshen up from Heather. Heathers stock came from Don anyways so mine are VERY closly related and are healthy happy AND WIN!!! MWHAHAHA

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm pleased I read this thread! My fiance has been nagging me as i was temped to inbreed a couple of my mice when they're up to size and he was telling to stay away from that, but I've tried for 2 weeks to say that it's a good way to establish what are the good points in the genes and to find the hidden faults within the genes.

I definitely think it's a good idea so we know what faults or flaws are lurking in there. xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Every domestic animal we have today is the result of at times very, very heavy inbreeding.

And we have probably the majority of our medicines and other medical treatments due to the heavy inbreeding of mice--when mice are super heavily inbred (say, 30 generations of brother X sister) they are more-or-less genetically identical and can be used easier as "controls" during research experiments. The fact that mice breed so quickly and so young (compared to other animals) is one reason they're used in medicine so often--it's possible to get such a heavily inbred strain in just a few years.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Personally, I'm a big fan of whatever works. If I feel the need to inbreed, I do it. The same with linebreeding...I've gotten some amazing things out of my tris, some of it accidentally, thanks to the freaky little tweeners.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw a broken merle that at first I thought was a tri, and I was so excited until I realized it wasn't, technically a tri :oops: Do you know was resulted of my inbreeding? I discovered my lines carry long hair. Really wispy long hair too. But it was such a shocker because both parents and grandparents were all short hair. Weird things.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How inbred is to heavily inbred?

I've been monitoring growth and development of pups up to 4 weeks of age. I've always been of the opinion that if inbreeding starts to negatively impact a line size will be one of the first things compromised.

I've just read that other thread too. Some very interesting responses.
I must admit if there was something nasty lurking I'd rather know about it and address the issue.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Inbreeding has no limit as long as you are (or nature is) routinely selecting for positive, life-enhancing traits. So as long as you only picked the biggest and healthiest and most fertile, you could inbreed for a million generations or more.

This article by Dr. King deals with inbreeding rats many, many years ago, but is fully applicable to mice.

http://rodentfancy.com/pets/wp-content/ ... images.jpg

She demonstrated that it is possible to improve size and vigor by close inbreeding, if done right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.