Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Red group mice (the Ay gene, including Red, Sable and Fawn among some others), Rumpwhite and Variegated are all homozygous lethal (can't think of any more off the top of my head) - but you can breed them together, the litters are just smaller. For example, if you were breeding sable to sable, you'd have a litter that was two thirds sable (Ay/at) and one third black tan (at/at). All of the Ay/Ay mice would have died in utero and been reabsorbed back into the doe's body.

I think double variegated may sometimes survive a couple of weeks, maybe someone can clarify that?

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Double varigated (Lethal White) babies don't thrive and don't live through weaning I believe. I have read its due to anemia.

Also another lethal gene, is MoBr... or Sex Linked Brindle. Male babies that show the brindle gene in this case don't thrive and don't make it past 6 weeks old generally. This is due to that fact that they can't process copper, so they are severely deficient.

W xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.