Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need any information there's is about kinktails.

I have at least 2 kinky tailed babies in one of my litters and all i know is that it can give some horrible deformations of the tail and spine and that it's hereditarily.

I have these pics of the 2 kinked tails:

Personally i will stop breed this line, i don't want such a terrible defect in my mice :|

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I'm assuming they were born with the kinks? If they were, then yes, I agree that you should definately discontinue the line and breed from no mice closely related to these ones.

Personally I have never had a baby born with a tail kink, if I did, I would cull the litter as newborns and retire the parents straight away.
I do however have a few girls that have tail kinks from wheel damage, and I do breed from those, as obviously because it was an accident, its not genetic :D

W xx

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WillowDragon said:
I'm assuming they were born with the kinks? If they were, then yes, I agree that you should definately discontinue the line and breed from no mice closely related to these ones.

Personally I have never had a baby born with a tail kink, if I did, I would cull the litter as newborns and retire the parents straight away.
I do however have a few girls that have tail kinks from wheel damage, and I do breed from those, as obviously because it was an accident, its not genetic :D

W xx
I haven't noticed the kinks until now, but these babies haven't left the nest-box yet and I really doubt they can get hurt inside the nesting box :)

Also the kinks are very small so far that could be the reason i haven't noticed + i don't have the babies out everyday before they get older.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The tail is actually part of the spine. If the kink is a little bit farther up, it will result in badly deformed mice with a low quality of life or no quality of life. Needless to say, the spinal cord is housed in the spine and even the slightest deformity can lead to big trouble. In addition, mice with kinked tails cannot be shown.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Maybe. It depends on how it got there. If they were born with it, it's probably a spinal deformity. It may have just so happened that it occurred on one of the least dangerous parts of the spine.

Unless it shows up over and over, part of the problem with tail kinks is that you're not really sure how it got there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.