Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i am starting breeding mice, I was wondering if anyone coulod reccomend where to get starting supplies (2x doe, 1x buck, cage/container etc) also would 2 girls and a boy be an ideal starting point? I was thinking of going to pets at home to purchase what I need as thats the only place I can think of, would this be ok?

Any other hints or tips would be appreciated

Thanks in advance :p

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Pets at home is expensive, and I know our local one has nothing useful in it. There's lots of ways you can make cages very cheaply, or you could look online for plastic terrariums/faunariums etc. I keep mine in lab cages, and they were £6 each (delivered) secondhand from eBay! Have a look through this thread to get some ideas:
http://www.fancymicebreeders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78

A trio like you say would be a good starting point - but where to get them depends entirely on what you want! Are you wanting to show, interested in a specific colour/marking/coat type, breeding to feed carnivores, breeding pets, can you travel to collect mice?

I would suggest having a really good look through the forum pages, ask lots of questions and when you know what you're looking for, post a wanted advert in the marketplace section.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, I don't mind what breed because I'm wanting to 'feeder breeder' I think its known as! I will have a look on ebay for some plastic storage boxs/bins etc, those lab cages sound ideal.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The male should definitely breed both does and it is fine to leave the does together to have their litters since you aren't worried about being able to tell which babies came from which female. Occasionally you will find a doe that will not do well birthing and raising litters with other females and generally those types of females should be culled from your program to prevent them from passing that trait down the line.

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Considering pets at home and 2 local pet shops don't sell mice, (and I don't think they can be posted?) I am considering rats, but was wondering which one breeds faster or do they have the same cycle?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.