Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
parents are pew x himalayan, when they were born they were be silvers (remember?!) they have gone from silver to sort of beige/light brown and have lovely points, are they burmese??

the resultant pew's from the same litter never did get points they're still pew's ;)

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Julie, mouse BE siamese isn't the same as rat siamese - with mice BE siamese is made with one siamese gene and one cream/stone gene, so it's technically a stone with points I suppose :p On Finnmouse it's called Colourpoint Beige and you can see it here: http://hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/varieties/colorpoint_beige.html

Naomi, Himalayan x BE Siamese should produce cream, himalayan, RE siamese and BE siamese in equal parts. Are you mating back to the same Himalayan? Because if so there's a chance you could get a whole range of c-locus varieties in the litter, as either he or the PEW parent are not genetically what they look like - PEW x Himi can only produce more PEWs and Himis genetically speaking and the cream gene had to come from one of the two parents. I think it's most likely that it's the PEW that's harbouring the cream though, possibly with dove or something to turn the eyes pink.

Hope this helps!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's really interesting Sarah, thankyou. But what a mixture in the litter! I am guessing you would choose to breed be siamese to be siamese to reduce the amount of combinations.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
BE Siamese x BE Siamese will make 50% BE Siamese, 25% RE Siamese and 50% Stone. That might make culling early on difficult though because there wouldn't be much difference between the stones and BE siamese kittens, but you could take out the red eyed kittens and reduce it down a bit.

Apart from the genetics side, I don't really know much about the practical side of breeding siamese in either eye colour - although it is on my short list for when I feel ready to take up a second variety (along with chocolate or silver foxes/chinchillas) so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I know a few people say that the BE's don't tend to have points or shading as good as normal siamese mice, so I suppose the best thing to do would be breed really good RE siamese that have proper dark points with the best BE siamese, as RE x BE will result in 50% of each in the litter, and obviously you know from birth what you want to cull or keep because of the red and black eyes.

Maybe someone on here who breeds/has bred siamese can share their experience?

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The best siamese I have ever seen have been the 'ruby' eyed ones (technically pink eyed but they look very dark). I would think that it would be best to avoid dilutes if you were trying to get dark points but some people must have had success with them - I can only think of one though. Siamese are a difficult variety due to moult amongst other things but a challenge I expect!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hiyas .... :D

is the himmy the ones from emma Naomi? ....... if so..... I can tell you that I mated two together and got nothing but PEW, siamese PE and himmy PE pups from that mating ... all satin and some longhaired.... and they are really pretty,

I know the himmys mother from emmas litter was satin PEW and the dad was satin siamese lonhaired. with pink eyes.. hope this helps with the genetics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.