Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is barbering (chewing the whiskers/hair off other mice as a part of over-grooming) a learnt behavior, or is it genetic?

I have a nice female I'd really like to breed but her major fault seems to be that she barbers every mouse she ever lives with...

If it is a learned behavior, I can take her babies and foster them under a new mom. If it is genetic, however, then I guess there's no use in keeping her...

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Its not genetic but does tend to run in families so must be either learnt or a response to captive living.I still breed from does who do it,only once and as soon as the young are weaned I cull the mother so the whiskers get the chance to grow back in time for showing.Its not a problem with bucks as they can be removed before litters are born.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SarahC said:
Its not genetic but does tend to run in families so must be either learnt or a response to captive living.I still breed from does who do it,only once and as soon as the young are weaned I cull the mother so the whiskers get the chance to grow back in time for showing.Its not a problem with bucks as they can be removed before litters are born.
I am really glad to hear that. I will do exactly the same, probably. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts