Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The photo of the banded is taken from an angle that doesn't show pregnancy or lack of very well. Is it possible to get one from above when she's not stretched out? It is very possible that a wild buck got into your cage if it isn't secure. However a wild buck wouldn't kill does, he'd mate with them. It's impossible for us to tell what killed the other does without seeing it for ourselves with all the variables and no clues.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Unfortunately with mice, most of their illnesses progress rapidly. You say that you'd had the mice 5-6 weeks and this all happened a few days ago. That means that if the banded is pregnant she did not arrive from the pet shop that way, which means either one of your 'does' was a buck or a wild buck got in. I can see a bit of a bulge on the photos but 7-10 days will of course let you know for sure! It might be worth having a good look at the cage you're using in case it is the culprit.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Banded is a dominant gene, though there is also a belted gene. Headspots are a common fault on bandeds. As for megacolon, as far as I was aware it is known to be common in variegateds but not other markings when it comes to UK show mice. All the bandeds I bred were healthy and pretty robust, very people-friendly and dominant with other mice.

Hand rearing if you don't have to is a bad idea as many of the babies may well die. Hand rearing is no substitute for their mother, even if you do everything perfectly. When the babies are born you should be able to guess fairly quickly whether a wild buck was the culprit, since all will be agouti (unfortunately they may have been anyway since the doe is argente) and some will have bands. They will also probably be smaller than a normal litter physically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.