Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nutmeg is one of our newest rats. She is about 6-7 weeks old and weighs 160g. I plan to breed her as soon as she is old enough to our cream male (Creampuff). I hope to get some pictures of him so I can be sure of his coloration. I'd love to know what Nutmeg is, as far as color and what she might produce when bred to a cream self.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
She is agouti, also known as "wild colored," but I'm not familiar enough to remember what the white belly is called.

What are the parents and grandparents of Nutmeg and her mate? If you don't know, then it really is pretty much a guessing game as to what they will produce (both in terms of color/markings and health-wise).

·
Registered
584 Posts
Nutmeg is an agouti, and looking from the white on her side I would say she is also berkshire marked. When you say cream, do you mean a pale rat with red eyes? That would be most likely to be champagne :) You also get a similar colour with ruby eyes (buff). Would easily be able to tell from a pic when your camera recovers ;)

There is a colour in the UK called cream, but it is still being developed and is not a common colour. These have black eyes. I sent 1 cream rat to the US about 5 years ago along 5 of with the related colour ivory as part of an export that the NFRS arranged.

Most likely outcome will be agouti, but of course as you don't know her background you may well get other colours.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I say cream because that is the first thing that popped into my head. He has reddish colored eyes. Ha! I got the camera to take one more picture before it died again!

Me: 1
Camera: 0

Ok, here is Creampuff.

By the way, the plastic bin you see them in is not what they live in. That is a tub I use to weigh my rats, snakes, and ferrets in. Of course, Nutmeg has officially perfected the art of climbing out of it. :roll:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Aha he looke like what we call a silver fawn here in the UK, but I believe you call that colour amber. He might get a brighter orange as he gets older. If Nutmeg carries pe then you will get agouti and amber babies, if not, all agoutis but carrying pe. Some will be self and some berkshire marked. If Creampuff has the white berki markings too (hard to see from the pic) then about 25% of the litter will have hooded markings. HTH.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot! I guess we shall see what we get with their first litter. I haven't checked his belly since he doesn't like to be picked up and since they are pretty new here I didn't want to stress them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts