Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, I have a couple of questions about the adorable african pygmy dormouse. I was planning on getting three, but I read that they had to be in captivity together or otherwise we'd have some dead furries on our hands. Is it a good idea to get three? Also I know what to feed them, and their cage size, but they never tell me about their illnesses. So are their illnesses the same as any other rodent? And how do I bathe them? also can i play with them? thank you !

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
They need each other to live, yes. They're so small they can't regulate their body temperatures like normal mice so they need a lot of bodies to stay warm. They also need a heat lamp (like you'd buy for reptiles). Even room-temperature environments, without heat lamps, can be too cold for them.

Mine have never been ill, that I've noticed. You can't take them out and you can't play with them so you wouldn't necessarily know they were sick.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
A pygmy dormouse is different to your pygmy mice Jack, either the OP is confused or they typed the wrong name in their post. The dormice are actually Graphiurus Murinus and look like this: Click Here For LINK

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
sarahc on this forum has kept them. I know they are good at escaping :lol: Try Googling them or visiting rfuk forums as they have more exotics keepers than here.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
They need each other to live, yes. They're so small they can't regulate their body temperatures like normal mice so they need a lot of bodies to stay warm. They also need a heat lamp (like you'd buy for reptiles). Even room-temperature environments, without heat lamps, can be too cold for them.

Mine have never been ill, that I've noticed. You can't take them out and you can't play with them so you wouldn't necessarily know they were sick.
this info is still applicable.They are not mouse like at all,more like squirrels.Not pets really ,just for viewing and definately not for handling.They only come out at night so if you go bed early all you get to see is an empty tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts