Pet Mice Forum banner

In which country do you currently live?

• The United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales)

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • The Republic of Ireland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The United States of America

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Canada

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Mainland Europe (please specify)

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other answer (please specify)

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I first joined this forum, the demographics have been changing. It seems to be going from a mostly UK-based membership to one that is more heavily populated with Americans, with more Australians, too.

I thought I'd post this poll to see what the results were since I couldn't find the map posted last year. Of course, the results won't be conclusive, but it'll be interesting to see them nonetheless. :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I believe this forum began when another forum which was made up almost entirely of UK based exhibition breeders folded. There is no offical forum of The National Mouse Club. I think this is the closest we have, although there are no longer many active NMC members here. It is odd how quickly things change.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know! It's demographically a different place from when I first found it, less than a year ago!

There is an official forum of the ECMA, but oddly enough most of the members of that forum are also not necessarily members of the ECMA, the same situation as here!

It is interesting though, that while this is not an official forum, you are asked to confirm whether you are a member of the NMC or not when you join.

Can you tell I do work in sociology? :p

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
I know! It's demographically a different place from when I first found it, less than a year ago!

There is an official forum of the ECMA, but oddly enough most of the members of that forum are also not necessarily members of the ECMA, the same situation as here!

It is interesting though, that while this is not an official forum, you are asked to confirm whether you are a member of the NMC or not when you join.
That was added just to get an idea of who was part of the NMC and is an optional field, there was plans to make an NMC group that NMC members could get updates etc but nothing ever come of it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I dont think there are enough actively showing NMC members to make it worthwhile is there, maybe less than 10 on here?
I believe setting up a forum on the NMC website has been discussed at the annual meeting but they decided against it.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I'm happy exchanging news and views with all mousers.I'm an active nmc member and join up with other members at shows or ring for a chat.I enjoy getting a different perspective from people who keep mice for purposes other than showing on this forum,the more the merrier.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I think it's fantastic to speak with other mouse fanciers from all over the world! It offers such insight, especially into varieties we don't have. Although I do wish everyone would put their location on their info bit LOL, it's helpful when people are talking about varieties and genetics (like recessive red/dominant red, the brindles and US lilac/UK dove) and asking about or recommending products :D

As an English show breeder I do wish there were more show breeders on here - I still can't get used to the idea of just picking up the phone and ringing a complete stranger about mice :lol: - but everyone on here has something interesting to say about mice and I enjoy being part of such a friendly, vibrant community :)

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
SarahY said:
I think it's fantastic to speak with other mouse fanciers from all over the world! It offers such insight, especially into varieties we don't have. Although I do wish everyone would put their location on their info bit LOL, it's helpful when people are talking about varieties and genetics (like recessive red/dominant red, the brindles and US lilac/UK dove) and asking about or recommending products :D

As an English show breeder I do wish there were more show breeders on here - I still can't get used to the idea of just picking up the phone and ringing a complete stranger about mice :lol: - but everyone on here has something interesting to say about mice and I enjoy being part of such a friendly, vibrant community :)

Sarah xxx
Well if you have any friends or people you talk to at shows etc that are not on here you could always give them the link :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a great idea, Dom!

I agree that more show breeders (no matter where they're from) would be a great addition to any forum, but particularly this one!

Because the UK, and England in particular, are looked upon as the historical "home" of the mouse fancy, I find that within the US, this forum and the information/people contained therein carries more authoritative "weight" than similar American forums.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd love to be British just for the simple fact of the NMC being in my back yard. In the US, we're far too dispersed to have the kind of mouse scene you guys do. :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.