Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Or until I win the lottery and ship you some (for free)! :) :p

Merle and tri are nice varieties but they're not all their cracked up to be by a lot of people. I've had them and I'd much rather work with the larger pale selfs any day.

·
Registered
687 Posts
£40 is a lot for one mouse but if i could get that gene into a group of mice at my place i would fork it out :O)
(after i have saved for it :oops: )

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
The most I ever spent was the gas for the trip on Mother's Day 2007 when I went to pick up the trangenic meeces that were hand carried from New York City, trading hands at RodentFest, to Janesville, Wisconsin by Barb of FunMouse fame. I never really thought about how much that cost me until just now. Yikes! 550 to 600 miles round trip...when gas was near it's highest price ever! Double yikes!! It 's the greatest Mother's Day present I ever got, though. Thanks, Pedro!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's been a thrill and also quite educational working with those little weirdos.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The US is different from the UK in that we routinely have to travel thousands of miles to obtain animals, and that raises the cost significantly. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't thousands of miles to travel in the UK. :p

·
Registered
584 Posts
It doesn't seem that extortionate, depends how badly you want them I suppose. I've happily travelled all over the country for various animals, and into europe to get particular things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just think Mark, a pedigree kitten is £400, often going up to £600 for breeding quality!!----I keep pointing out to OH how cheap mice are but he still won't let me have any :cry: ! Can you go into partnership with another breeder and split the cost and use of the mouse?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, that is a lot. Since I'm back and forth between England and the US, I have genes on either side of the pond i wish i could merge. You don't know how many times i've been tempted to hide a tri mouse or two in my bra to sneak them through airport security haha. Ohh how I wish there was cheaper shipping.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I should imagine shipping would be difficult anyway. How do you get the little one to sit still long enough for the regulatory passport photo and then there is the problem of him/her wanting to travel in first class. It could really push the cost up (heh heh heh). Seriously though, good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Wait, is it £40 per mouse, or for a bunch?
(still though, omg lol)

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
OOO I JUST REMEMBERED! Theres a company that breed for petshops and people who want to buy mice off them directly, and i think they have some tricoloured mice (according to them).The only thing is that you have to buy anything off them via a pet shop in their area.

http://www.simonsrodents.co.uk/html/latest_news1.php

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I know the breeder of those mice, and I expect (as does he) the prices to come down in the next three or four years as the tricolor mice (c-dilute Splashed marked) become more common in Europe and the UK. He got his original mice imported from a friend of mine and has improved their size and type using European mice. Tricolors are really neat-looking but like any marked variety I don't think I could stand to breed them! :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts