Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so about 6 weeks ago i got a colony together, it consists of a PEW doe, a BEW doe and a PEW satin doe, the buck being a BEW satin...

I idea originally was to try and get more BEW satins...

The first litter i got 6 or 7 babies, PEWs and PEW satins, that sounds about right.
Second litter i got a darker baby, like stone or dove, ok so the parents probably carry stone/dove whatever it is....

...another baby in that litter was broken...ummm ok so a parent might carry broken? ....

the other 2 babies in that same litter are hairless!!!! :? not one of the mice in this group are related in any way to my hairless mice ??? :shock: not only that these particular mice come from my half that i have been breeding for over a year now rarely introducing a new mouse, surely if any of my mice were carry hairless it would have shown within 18 months or so of constant breeding??

Its something i just can't put my finger on, one has red eyes which is something i've never had within my hairless so thats pretty cute, but this whole ordeal is confusing...and it doesn't stop there!!

at about 14 weeks old, 2 of the adult females, the normal coated ones have changed colour and are now broken ? what!
What started off as a PEW and a BEW are now broken marked mice, at first glance some might say they're still white or off white, but if you look for a few seconds you can see, they are just a tint off-white with patches of white on, so faint it can be hard to see under wrong light, but they're deffo broken, but deffo wasn't when i made the group!

I've been trying to get pictures but its so hard to see, the camera is not picking the colours up..i'll keep trying but its madness!

All i ever wanted to do was put a group of whites together, now my whites aren't whites, and my litters really mixed up with colours, brokens AND hairless!

:?:

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Ok it all sounds a bit complicted, photos will help. However... when whites and creams etc moult they often have dark patches on, this could be what you're seeing as broken and why it has appeared on the adults only and suddenly. As for the hairless, it's normally recessive so the mice you just put together would be carrying it and you'd have no way to know until they were bred and the gene was inherited from both parents. It may be that until now the mice passing on the hairless gene have just never 'met' in order to produce hairless babies. It's that sinple as they won't both have spontaneously mutated to have the hairless gene :) I also think that your 'BEW' is cream since you mentioned producing stone.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the strange litter that one of the does produced, you can see the one that isn't white, and then the two 'hairless' though they don't appear completely bald...

I will attempt some pictures of the rest of the mice...

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Just looks like a stone and a completely normal fuzzy hairless to me... Making one parent cream not BEW.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is one of the females, you can see the colouring better on her than the other one

One of their latest babies, a satin is showing its colours now, and i notice its broken, if you look at the face, hes almost like the parent, except they didn't show colouring until they were adult!

3 other babies in the litter, 2 are dark

this ones just cute :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts